1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown device: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Cod

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Abaminog, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Abaminog

Abaminog Thread Starter

I have Windows 7 Ultimate. Since very recently an unknown device keeps popping up in the device manager every time I start Win. It's reported location is within the front USB root hub but I haven't changed there anything lately. The device status reports "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)". I can uninstall/disable it but it will get picked up again the next time I reboot. All other usb devices (mouse, keyboard, web camera, APC UPS, external drive, printer) work fine. How do I get rid of this nuisance so that it doesn't reappear?

2. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Could well be a physical problem with the port or a bad controller. Front USB ports can get a lot of abuse. I've had clients break the ports out of the case, and I've seen one motherboard fried because a child stuck a screwdriver into the port and twisted it around a bit. So, if you don't have anything plugged in to the port in question I'd be cautious about trying a device in it.

I'd say more hardware info might be in order. Is any device connected to the port? If so, what. What brand of computer, motherboard, etc.

3. Abaminog

Abaminog Thread Starter

Unlikely a physical problem. The PC is almost new, no kids or vandals around. All the ports are functioning properly otherwise (knocking on the wood...) Actually, the problem began (should've mentioned) after I installed drivers for an APC UPS that connects to the PC via USB. The UPS doesn't live very well with my wireless keyboard/mouse, sp I had to uninstall/re-install drivers/devices, and at some point during the process that annoying 'unknown device' appeared and has never gone away. Now I have both UPS and keyboard/mouse working (still not too happy about each other as the mouse freezes on reboot if I forget to unplug the UPS from ubs) but the 'unknown device' just won't go away. If I uninstall it, it will re-install itself next time I reboot with the same 'unknown device' tag.

My system specs:

IntelĀ® Core™i7 Processor i7-860 (2.80GHz)
    8GB CORSAIR XMS3 DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz
    ASUSĀ® P7P55D DELUXE: DDR3, S-ATA II, 3 x PCI-Ex, 2 x PCI
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
    8 x USB 2.0 PORTS (6 REAR + 2 FRONT)
    2TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
    1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800GT PCI EXPRESS

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Hopefully, the info I posted here might be helpful.

APC's software tends to lag way behind the curve in terms of compatibility and quality. If Windows detects your UPS, it will probably do a better job of managing the hardware and handling a soft shutdown than what APC offers.

5. Abaminog

Abaminog Thread Starter

Windows says that my driver is up-to-date and no change needed.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/884277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice