1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unknown devices

Discussion in 'Android Mobile Devices' started by littlemonkee, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. littlemonkee

littlemonkee Thread Starter

can anyone help shed any light. . .

my partners son who lives with us was grounded from use for the week last night. the bt home hub is set to block his devices (xbox, tablet and phone) from 22.00 till he comes home from school. so last night i change it to block it all day. i went on earlier to check i had set it right and i noticed on the setting page where i can control devices, over ten new ones, all very similar, but ending different. so consequently i had to set them all. within an hour of him getting home from school, there were more. so i changed the password needed to access wireless internet. can anyone explain the different devices, is it possible for a phone to keep changing its id?

Attached Files:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    he maybe changing the mac address of the device
    I know this is easy on a Xbox and a PC
    Not sure about a phone ,

3. littlemonkee

there are ten different ones currently. is there a max he can do? is there a way of blocking them in mass

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    depends on the lease period you have on the router
    once an IP is assigned it will then stay on the router map until the lease expires

BUT it maybe something different

I dont know of a way to do a block / mass

changing the wireless password is probably the only way to ensure no connection is made

Have you had the discussion with him?

5. littlemonkee

ive changed the password for now. he seemed annoyed that he hadnt got one up. as for talking to him, he will only deny it. but there are only the two of us who know the password during the week. ill have to change it back or tell him password at weekend when i'll be back to square one

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    he could change the password back quite easy

All he has to do is connect to the router with a cable and PC and then if you still have the default login details
    which is publicly available.

so you may want to make sure the password is changed
    then next - he simply holds the router reset button and sets the router back to factory default

7. littlemonkee

shame he cant respect rules and do as he is asked. thank you for your help

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

In other similar cases I think the solution was to change the router and physically lock it away.

I was lucky in that girls soon took over their interests and parties were more of a problem.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    It might be easier to control on your end but harder for you if you simply connected one computer to the modem and removed the router (lock it away somewhere like the trunk of a car). Then no wifi signal locally would be available to try and connect to. He'd have to either hitch a ride on someone else's network (Comcast Xfinity has free wifi from other customers when no hotspot available) or go out of the house to a hotspot.

Not sure what
    is so you might not have a separate modem and router.

Password protect that one wired computer so a username and password is needed to get windows to load.

10. trogdo

trogdo

Instead of blocking devices, one can set up a list of allowed devices, and set the router to ignore all new/unknown/disallowed devices.

Seems like implementing this punishment is proving to be quite punishing.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice