1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown Disk message - trying to get data back

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ven15_ss, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ven15_ss

ven15_ss Thread Starter

First Name:
    Harry
    We have a laptop that will not startup - 2 lights appear when trying but nothing happens. We need to get data back off it.

I removed harddrive from laptop and connected drive to PC USB with USB to Sata Drive Cable setup. It will not register in Windows Explorer. However, when I go to Disk Management, it seems to see something. It says there is a "Disk 3 Unknown of 465.76 GB" and "Not Initalized". In detail for that drive it says "465.76 GB Unallocated". It also displays a message when I fist enter Disk Management that says "You must Initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it". It offers initialization in either MBR or GPT partition style. The harddrive is stamped as a HGST of 500 GB capacity.

Listening closely it seems to be spinning. When it started up I did hear some other sounds but not a lot and it was very soft in all sounds - I had to listen very carefully to hear anything. And have not really listed to a drive before to see what sounds it should make. Also, I have not opened it.

I am running Windows 7 on the PC and the laptop was running Windows 8.

I have not initialized it as I assume it will wipe/re-format disk when I am trying to retrieve the data on it. Is it just the case of a drive letter conflict or is the drive just had it?

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before doing anything, I would boot the system with a linux live usb/dvd. See if linux can "See" your files. If not, then reboot into windows and run data recovery software. I have had good luck with test disk however there are a LOT of data recovery programs. Some are free and some are not free.

For linux, I would use either linux mint or ubuntu for the first task. Download either one from their respective sites.

4. ven15_ss

ven15_ss Thread Starter

First Name:
    Harry
    Thanks for reply. I don't know anything about Linux/ubuntu things. Little I know is that they are an alternative OS?
    Do I download one and put onto a flash drive or CD/DVD and let the computer boot from it. Therefore it does not go to windows. Is that correct?
    Therefore the flash drive would need to be in the boot priority? If I use CD/DVD then I need to burn to that with something. Have not burnt anything in years.

5. ven15_ss

ven15_ss Thread Starter

First Name:
    Harry
    Ok I researched Linux and how to look at it from DVD. Got that working(y)
    On front screen it shows my 2 drives and Seagate external drive and no Hitachi drive. When I select Computer at top of main screenit shows the Hitachi Drive. When I select it says "Unable to mount location - Can't mount file"

Hummmm:unsure:

6. ven15_ss

ven15_ss Thread Starter

First Name:
    Harry
    Next Step
    Downloaded Test Disk and ran. I ran into bad ending head. See attached pdf. I could not see anything in Test Disk docos to help me more. What do I do from here?

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1164786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice