1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown driver

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by raed, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raed

raed Thread Starter

PCI simple communications controller driver is not available.. need help please
    im using windows 8.1 pro x64

2. valis

valis Moderator

we will need the make and model of hte pc as well.

3. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

The best way to get the drivers working is to go to your computer manufacturer's website and find the drivers for your computer there. Unfortunately, if you don't know what the device is, you might just be stuck downloading random drivers until you find the right one.

Another option is to use Windows to get the right driver. Right click the device and click update, then try finding it automatically. This works best when windows is fully updated. Still, this method often cannot find the correct driver.

Finally you should try using a driver pack, which is a huge collection of drivers and a utilty which will scan your computer and match up devices with their appropriate drivers in the collection. There are a few different driver packs out there, my favorite is: http://drp.su/

I've always downloaded the entire pack and burned it to a CD, but it's 15GB so it will take a long time to download and is difficult to burn. But i do believe there is an option to download the standalone client which will then download just the drivers you need from the internet. No 15GB burns required. Give it a shot if you can't find the driver using the above two methods.

And lastly, if you still can't find the driver, you could just ignore it. There is a good chance that you'll simply never notice that driver not being there and it will never cause any problems for you. It could be for something silly like the infrared detector that lets you control media functions of the computer with a supplied remote (older HP laptops had this), but i have never met anyone who's used it.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From an etaf (Wayne) post:

How to identify hardware in Device Manager

right click on the device with a yellow!

from the menu choose
    properties
    Click on the Details Tab
    Under the Property - drop down
    Select hardware ids
    Right click and select all
    Then right click again and select copy
    Copy and paste that information here

You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

please reply with the full code for your device(s)

The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 008A

Post back those two numbers make sure we know which is vendor ID and which is device ID

These codes can be looked up at this site http://www.pcidatabase.com/

As an example the link for that database tells us that;
    Vendor ID code 8086 is for this vendor - Intel Corporation
    Device ID code 008A is for this device - Intel Centrino Wireless-N1030

------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. raed

raed Thread Starter

this is what i got

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C3A&SUBSYS_FA301179&REV_04
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C3A&SUBSYS_FA301179
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C3A&CC_078000
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C3A&CC_0780

6. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

Seems like that's the "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface". You should be able to find that on your laptop manufacturer's website.

I'd love for someone to correct me, but from what I understand unless you were planning to do some remote management of your laptop through Intel's AMT, that driver is pretty useless and won't benefit you in any way.

7. valis

valis Moderator

Did you check the DEV at pci database as well?

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I have no need for it and never install it.

-------------------------------------------------------

9. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What is needed here - IMHO - is as my colleague Valis
    requested on post 2
    the make and full model of the computer

Depending on the make of the motherboard or the chipset on the board, then although generally I agree with my colleague flavallee and other posts that have said this Intel Management Engine is generally unnecessary if it is NOT properly commissioned then it can result in the error you have

10. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Further to my last I forgot to mention that the reported PCI Simple Communications device
    MAY be absolutely nothing connected with a communications device as that is the default notification from Windows for a PCI installed card that is unrecognised

The PCI Simple Communications Controller is a generic label that Windows gives to PCI boards installed in a PC when the drivers for the device are not installed.

11. raed

raed Thread Starter

@valis.. where can i find that?

12. valis

valis Moderator

is it a dell, hp, etc?

13. raed

raed Thread Starter

its toshiba satellite C50-A422

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice