1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unknown file

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dplyno2154, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dplyno2154

dplyno2154 Thread Starter

Occasionally when i close an application a file appears called "custom.dic" It contains no information so i delete it and it comes back a few days later. I am running windows 98 its a new computer but the same was happening on my older one with 98 also. Dan

2. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

It looks like it is a folder for your customized dictionary. In the event you spell check your e-mail or have Word, Works, or other word processing program. If you delete it, it is recreated so that it is there when you spell check a document or e-mail and come up with a proper name, or word not in the regular dictionary, you are given an option to "add to" the dictionary. If you choose yes, this is where it will go. I think that this is what this is for. I could be wrong but it makes sense.

3. dplyno2154

dplyno2154 Thread Starter

Cowboy622, It does make sense. It's irritating to see it on the desktop so I think when it shows up again i wll send it to my documents, if it can live there. Thanks Dan

4. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Thanks Cowboy and dplyno2154 for bring this up! :D
    I knew I had added a mispleed word to my custom dic, but I never knew where to find it to correct it. Because of this I was able to open it and remove the mis-spelled word!

John

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice