1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown Hardware Fault. Maybe HDD related, maybe not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sensay, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sensay

Sensay Thread Starter

Hi, I'm having some issues with my PC and i am not sure what is wrong, i have exhausted what knowledge i have to be honest.

A couple of weeks ago i was using my PC same as always and i got a crash, i dont remember the exact nature now but i restarted the PC and when i did i was greeted with a black screen with a flashing cursor when i tried to boot. I fiddled around with my hard drive configuration at this point disabling one then the other to see if i could get the GRUB loader to appear. This didnt work but when i put both drives back in as they were before i could access GRUB again but it would throw up error 21. Makes sense, i messed around with the drive positioning so grub would be a bit confused.

It's from this point that things went really wrong. I used a LIVE ubuntu CD to try and repair grub but found that my 320GB HDD was actually inaccessible due to a bad superblock. Further inspection showed that both my HDD's were showing some level of corruption.

I ran SEATOOLS on both my drives in the hopes that at least an error code would get me an RMA. The 250GB drive passed fine first time. The 320GB drive did not, it failed the long test due to some corrupt LBA's that it corrected. It has passed the long test twice now without error.

I decided at this point just to cut my losses, reformat the drives and start over. This went relatively painlessly and once i was setup in ubuntu i got a reminder that my HDDs were failing. This feature is notoriously over sensitive though so i investigated further. The 250GB drive had 34 reallocated sectors that were not present before and the 320GB drive has 2 pending sector rewrites as well as 2 uncorrectable errors, also not present before.

I have been monitoring the drives since and there has been no increase in damage over the last couple of weeks. I assume they both took some damage in the 'crash' but have no idea how?

My issues now have become more pronounced. In windows my mouse will slow down under periods of heavy usage and freeze or lag a lot. Sometimes i boot up and my USB devices (kb, mouse, wif dish) need to be reconnected before windows will detect them. When the mouse is lagging the computer also slows to an absolute crawl and becomes unusable whilst this is occuring.

Performance in 3d games has plummeted too, my fps jumps widly from the maximum amount i know i should be getting all the way down to around a quarter of its full speed.

So what has happened? My operating systems are both on the 250GB drive, the one i figured had taken the least amount of damage. I cant RMA these drives without a seatools code so am stuck with them for a while, besides if the manufacturers tool passes them fine then they cant be that damaged right?

Are all the problems indicitive of hard drive errors? I'm thinking whatever caused my drives to frazzle in the first place might be responsible here?

All help appreciated, sorry for long post!

2. Sensay

Sensay Thread Starter

Update:

Tried extracting an archive on the 250GB drive, went at 16MB/s, lagged my computer out like crazy and i had to forcibly close the extraction. Copied the files to my 320GB (copied at full speed btw) and extracted there at 40MB/s with no impact on my PC performance whatsoever.

Seems fairly obvious then that my 250GB is simply screwed? Is there anything i can do here? SMART only shows 34 reallocated sectors out of 36 that were available for remapping leaving 2 spare sectors still, it should not be behaving like this, should it?

3. Sensay

Sensay Thread Starter

BUMP.

Help still needed.

4. catlady13

catlady13

Try hdd regenerator. Someone and if I remember correctly it was qldit put me onto this program. I resurrected a hard drive that was on its way out. He tried to explain how it works to me but it was over my head. Of course it can't fix all things on a hard drive but it does leave your files intact or at least it did with my old hard drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/911131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice