1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown Hardware Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spirittoo, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Well sir I'm having problems again with the AMD rig. I just replace the mobo ... listed in my sig ... not more than a month ago. It all started when I booted up and got the BSOD. These are the steps I have taken so far ...

1. Went into safe mode and ran Ace Utilities to make sure the registry and software was ok. I after that I tried to go back into windows and still got the BSOD. I tried to go back into safe mode but it simply locked up while loading. So I figured this to be some kind of hardware problem.
    I have a SB 100 sound card installed in the PCI slot ... the GTX 280 video card ... two Sony DVD RW drives ... two sticks of memory and the one hard drive.
    2. I used the sea gate dos tool to check the hhd ... I did the long test and it passed.
    3. I tested the memory using a dos memory test. At first when I tried testing it once the program started to load the computer would reboot. So I took out one stick and after that the program booted and ran. I had to test the memory sticks separately. So why I had that rebooting problem I don't know. I did an extended test and both passed.
    4. I removed the sound card to see if it was the problem. When I tried booting up instead of the BSOD I got as far as the windows logo then a black screen. There was a signal going to the monitor, but in the form of a black screen.
    5. With the sound card still out, I removed the video card. I got the BSOD, with the monitor hooked up to the mobo.
    6. I unhooked the master DVD drive, and got the BSOD when I booted back up with the other parts out as well.
    7. I rehooked the master DVD drive and unhooked the slave drive. When I booted I was able to get into windows.
    8. I ran hot cpu to test the rest of the parts. After 6 hours of testing with that program there were no errors.
    9. I put the video card back in and the sound card and left the slave DVD drive unhooked. Booted up the computer and got the BSOD again.
    10. Pulled out the video card and the sound card again. Was able to boot back into Windows.

Tired of messing with it. I let the computer sit for a couple of days, I was going to see if another video card would work or give me the same problem. I checked it out today.

I wanted to see if it would still go into windows. Booted it up ... and got the BSOD. Tried it again and it got to the windows logo then it went to the black screen.

So I am stumped ... the hardware that is still installed tested good. Any ideas?:confused:

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Ace Utilities reporting errors or indeed NOT reporting errors is about as reliable as someone telling you they can give you the winning numbers for the next National Lottery jackpot
    AND you successfully booted Safe Mode then ran ACE
    I would think ACE was more likely to be responsible than some sort of hardware problem

Ram can be OK as far as it is not defective, but some ram types and configurations can be incompatible with the system
    That is why motherboard manufacturers always include in their support - tested ram.

What happens when you boot with the one stick

The most important information is the crash dump file but of course we cannot get that until you can get windows to load

So if you have not try booting the system with just the one stick

3. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Sorry ... forgot to mention I tried booting with one stick at a time with the same results. I'm going to try to get that crash dump information.

4. Macboatmaster

In which configuration did you try booting with just the one stick of ram
    By that I mean - have you tried that with integrated graphics
    No cards
    the one hard drive with the OS on
    and if so what happens then

5. Macboatmaster

That GTX280

Maximum Graphics Card Power (W)
    236 W

Minimum System Power Requirement (W)
    550 W

Supplementary Power Connectors
    6-pin & 8-pin

appreciate that it not anything like 236 watts when only loading windows
    HOWEVER what PSU is in the system
    Is the power connection made to the card

Also that CPU is fully supported only from BIOS version F3
    AMDFX-8120
    3100MHz
    1MBx88MB
    Bulldozer32nm
    B295
    W5200
    F3

6. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

I have the Cooler Master RS 500 for a PS.

Here are a list of the stop error codes I have been getting ... the first one is from trying to go into windows ...

Stop:0x0000007E,0xC0000005, 0xB395B443, 0xB852BBBC, 0xB852B8B8

These are from safemode ...
    Stop: 0x0000007E, 0xC0000005, 0xB42CE443, 0xF7902BBc, 0xF79028B8

Stop: 0x0000007E, 0xC0000005, 0xB42Ce443, 0xF78FABBC, 0xF78FA8B8 then viaHub3.sys_Address B42CE443 base at B42C6000, DateStamp 52085284

Stop: 0x0000007E, 0xC0000005, 0xB395B443, 0xB8537BBC, 0xB85378B8

Stop: 0x0000007E, 0xC0000005, 0xB4426443, 0xF78F6BBC, 0xF78F68B8

A couple of times I was able to get into safe mode. Once I get back I will see if I can update the BIOS.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I see one HUGE problem right off. The minimum pw supply for your video card is 550W; see the nvidia spec sheet.
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-280/specifications

Next the coolermaster pw supply you listed is not one of their high end units. In fact is a pretty low quality unit.

When you go with a pw supply below min specs [and a low end one at that] you are really asking for a problem.

Here is what I would do;
    1 System OFF, pull your video card and connect the monitor to the onboard video.
    2 System still OFF, pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical.
    3 Remove any other add-in cards ie sound, nic/lan, etc
    4 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc
    5 Clear cmos with the clear jumper. Since this is a gigabyte board, they do not use jumpers. You simply short the two pins momentarily with a small screwdriver.
    6 Now pw ON and see if the board will POST. If it does, then shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If it does not complete POST, you need to start swapping parts with known good units.

Note DO NOT use your video card until you install a pw supply that is actually capable of pw the system.

8. Macboatmaster

Indeed I agree

also if the system has booted - safe mode or normal mode - do not flash BIOS until we have sorted out the main problem

Without a dump file I cannot do much but that
    Stop:0x0000007E,0xC0000005,

7E indicates system thread exception and the first parameter
    0xC0000005 indicates memory access violation

However do not fooled into thinking that this mean there is a ram error

I agree entirely with the recommends from my colleague as your starting point, until you can establish a stable boot and POST - eg power on self test - any further attempts at troubleshooting are a non starter

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice