Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown issue with Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 - pcie or driver?

865 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  VilmieRund 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have had a recurring issue with my Dell Alienware PC ever since I purchased it (refurbished) from Dell a few years ago. The monitor seemingly disconnects (blank screen), though the PC still sounds like it is running (in fact it is, as I am forced to turn it off and I can see the kernel event logged in the system from every time I have had to do that), and I've narrowed it down to figure out that it isn't anything to do with the monitor but most likely with the graphics card. The problem is particularly likely to occur during start-up, though it can occassionally happen at other random moments, and I have at times received the start-up message 'please power down and connect the pcie power cables for this graphics card'. When I get this, I open up the PC and check all the connections but they seem fine (though there is very little space inside and the power cables are squished right up again the bottom of the chasis at connection point). When I check the connections inside the PC the whole problem seems to stop for a few days and then it happens again and I am at a loss on what to do and what is causing the problem - is it a problem with the drivers? Or is it a phyical problem with the power cables to the card or something inside the graphics card itself?

I rolled back the drivers and it seems happier with older drivers(2014) than the latest ones (problems occur less frequently) but it doesn't erase the problems altogether.

I am confused by the system info that the TSG has gathered for me to paste here, as it only mentions the Intel graphics card and not the Nvidia one (there are 2 on here, my monitor is plugged into the Nvidia one via HDMI)...? FYI the Nvidia one is GeForce GTX 670.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16298 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 1844 GB (893 GB Free);
Motherboard: Alienware, 0PGRP5
Antivirus: Malwarebytes, Enabled and Updated

I am willing to listen to any suggestions/questions with this as I desperately need to be able to use this PC again for work. Many thanks! :)

See less See more
#7 ·
Not a powder, so hopefully nothing burned. OK cool, well I can't afford a new cable to check if it is that, so I guess unless somebody else replies with another solution then it's just something I'm going to have to live with for a while until I can afford to try to fix it! Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

#9 ·
UPDATE:

After turning on my PC today and it whirring loudly and so having to unplug it (it has done this a number of times since I first purchased it), and then restarting a couple of times in safe mode because it kept encountering the previously mentioned problem, I started it into safe mode and then it went to a bright red screen. No text on it. I had to unplug the power as it wouldn't power down.

A brief look suggests this may be a hardware problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.