1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unknown message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ceramicn, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ceramicn

ceramicn Thread Starter

I recently installed windows XP on my friends new Hard Drive I also installed. But she is getting an unusual message when she tries to log out so she can shut down. It is coming up with the message other users are logged into windows and by shutting down it could cause users to lose data. She is the only user in her home no one else lives there. Have you ever encountered this and what can I do to fix this problem? She has Symantec Anti Virus installed and has windows security.

2. lilLB

lilLB

are you sure there are no other usernames created on that computer?
    there may be another user name signed into windows which is causing that message
    you can check under control panel to see if there are any other usernames

3. ceramicn

ceramicn Thread Starter

Sorry, I haven't gotten back sooner, I have just started college and am swamped. Yes, I installed the windows xp and no there are no other users signed into windows on her computer. She is the only one in the house and on the computer. I double checked again under the control panel and there is only one. She is using DSL light in which her computer is always connected to the net while it is on. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you for your help.

4. lilLB

lilLB

i'm sorry i don't know what else could cause that... you may have to wait for a more experienced member to help you
    sorry

5. ceramicn

ceramicn Thread Starter

That's ok, I appreciate the time and effort. I hope someone can give me some ideas to work with. Have a great day.

6. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Research into this problem,shows that it is quite common, but so far no-one has come up with an answer to it that I can find...all sorts of suggestions to get rid of it have failed from what I can see, and most people just ignore it and shut down anyway ..I can guess it might be annoying but I have no answer for you ....its a glitch of some sort ...

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I do not think anybody is ignoring this problem I think it is a serious problem but with out the error message or any sort of description of what is going on leaves us at a disadvantage. If you could post the error message or give an accurate description of the problem it would be an enormous help.

8. ceramicn

ceramicn Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone who conserned this problem and how to possibly fix it. I also think that it might be an unknown glich since I can find no other reason that it should think that another user is signed onto her computer. I will keep watching to see if anything else is discovered on this. Thanks to all!:)

9. jmjam100100

jmjam100100

only an opinion; ARE ANY ADMINISTRATORS ON SAFE BOOT ?

10. ceramicn

ceramicn Thread Starter

No, there are no other administrators on that computer besides my friends name. She is the only one.

11. ceramicn

ceramicn Thread Starter

This is a really weird one anyway, because when I was installing XP the other thing that happened was the program arbitrarily assigned a password to my friends account without asking if we wanted one assigned. That was a really good one and I was on the phone with Windows tech support team for over 3 hours trying different stuff until we managed to get that one solved. Ultimately I had to reformat the new hard drive and reload the windows xp again and this time it did not assign a password. So, I think this problem now with the shut down message might be another type of non standard problem with this particular program.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!