1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown Noise Problem - Can You Solve It?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by damion87, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. damion87

damion87 Thread Starter

Hello there i have a problem with my new computer (i built) - ocassionaly every xx minutes there is a 1-2 second screech / squeaking noise and then goes and then comes back every minutes - Please note that my computer is on idle and there is NO intensity at all on the machine.

The hardware is pretty brand new, the case fans seem to be all ok...

So what is making these occasional noises and the problem is - the screeching noise happens every xx minutes and it's random and i have 1-2 seconds to get to the case to locate where it is coming from but as my computer is so loud and i dont make the 1-2 second timeframe then i cannot allocate where it is coming from...

Could you please possibly tell me some 'classic' problems that can cause this noise - My PSU is 750W winpower (12v+ 18A and 12v+ 21A) [NOTE: in my computer specs it reads a different power supply which i have ordered as a guess to the solution) - I know i should wait to test it out and see but i would really appreaciate anyone's guesses/input into the issue - so if it's something other then the power supply that is the issue then i could order the new parts to rectify the high pitch noise issue (if required) so i can get them just before the weekend (lol i hope anyway)!

Thank you for all your help and replies!

Damion :D

2. twizzie

twizzie

First, I would try to unplug all the case fans, (not the cpu fan), and see if the noise is still there. Let me know if you still hear it. Make sure you turn off your computer and then unplug it though.

3. techdawg667

techdawg667

Instead of unplugging all fans at once, as suggeested by twizzie, disconnect fans one by one to make the process easier and also the problem will be easier to pinpoint.

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

+1 . Definitely sounds like a fan issue !

5. damion87

damion87 Thread Starter

Thanks twizzie/techdawg667/nessyguin for your advice i will do that tommorow (well later today) as i took my PSU out (to await the thermaltake psu today or tommorow) and left it in the room where people are sleeping - see i have never had this issue before - my upgrade only consists of: Ram, CPU, CPU cooler, Motherboard + Extras , 250GB Hard Drive, 1 PCI>IDE Card - The rest are 'originally' used on my older system so thats why there is a higher chance to me it can only be one of the newer stuff as i have not experienced it with the hardware used in my older system - so thank you for the advice and i will defiantley try it later on :D or if my new psu comes today then i will try it with the new PSU and if that doesnt improve things at least i can rule of the PSU :)

6. twizzie

twizzie

yes tech dawg, you are right I was imagining that he had 1 or 2 fans.

7. damion87

damion87 Thread Starter

lol when you have a pentium d CPU (945) [well in the room it was situated in (very small)] you need a lot lol :p - Luckey i dont think i need the FULL five ... yes FIVE! fans anymore for Core2Duo lol :D

8. twizzie

twizzie

hehe i got 4 on my case, (2 on a door), and one for the cpu, vid card and power supply. With 7 fans the whole house knows when im on my computer lol

9. techdawg667

techdawg667

what? there are 5 fans for Core 2 Duo? Don't make me go in my comp case to check, bc I have a c2 duo too!

Edit: OK I just remembered, my craptop also makes screeching noises occasionally. I found out it was a side fan. When I opened up my craptop though I found out it wasn't the fan motor that was the problem...it was actually the fan scraping the motherboard! It made huge scratches in it and almost disconnected a wire path or whatever you call those things.

10. damion87

damion87 Thread Starter

Hello just to keep you up to date,

i finally got my new PSU which is working well, the noise is gone..... oh no hours later its back :S - fans removed, noise still there (BUT do note: the noise is less frequent now) and when it does happen with the fans at a standstill i still cannot pinpoint where it is coming from - so for this issue it's a mystery to me lol :-D

11. johnsonwk2

johnsonwk2

The only other fan which it could be is the processor fan. Make sure no wires are close to it. I suggest using zip ties to clinch together all those extra psu cables.

12. damion87

damion87 Thread Starter

They (the cables) all are in now thermaltake toughpower casing (they should of called the PSU toughcable lol) and the processor fan is brand new (cooler too - freezer pro 7), so is a new hard drive, new memory, new cpu, PSU, PCI extension card, new motherboard - which means that new things could be the culprit but its too hard to determine where the noise is coming from lol well thanks for your input johnsonwk2 but at the moment everything is ok, no noise as yet, but wait a few hours... lol :D

Have a good day everyone :D

Damion87 :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice