1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown object :\

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by charming_mag, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charming_mag

charming_mag Thread Starter

I found a device plugged into the back of my other computer that I've never seen before. It looks like this -
    [​IMG]
    It's small and black and has a suction thing on it that lets it sticks to stuff, and plugs into the microphone port. I plugged it in and it seems to be a sensor or something.. like it detects electromagnetic waves? I have no idea actually but it makes strange electronic noises when i put it near my computer or iriver. Also, when I attatch it to my watch I can hear the ticking..

Anyone know what this thing is?

2. paulmo_on_tour

paulmo_on_tour

Well Mag, it's a microphone!

Matter of fact, if you go to Radio Shack (nearest one for you and I is in California, USA) you can still buy them. Mainly used for sticking on the outside of a telephone receiver to record phone calls.

"Technically" illegal, but what's a little blackmail between friends? or ex friends?

As far as the strange noises, I would bet it is picking up the sounds that you cannot hear, but are still there all the same.

Hope that helps! (Makes note to not call Mag with the winning lotto numbers....)

Paul

3. charming_mag

charming_mag Thread Starter

ahaha awesome :D
    Its a special microphone right? Because I tried talking into it and couldn't hear anything..

4. paulmo_on_tour

paulmo_on_tour

It is a contact mic. Talking "into" it won't work, but if you attach it to the back of a phone, and into a recorder (I would suggest tape recorder, but those are hard to come by these days...) you can tape whatever.

LOL

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice