1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown Partition during preliminary XP installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by darkhanzou, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkhanzou

darkhanzou Thread Starter

Okay,

Let it be known that I have done this before for many years on many different computers, and never had this happen before.

so here's how it went. Bought it two days ago, PC came as is with OS loaded with software that I didn't need or want. Decided to re-format, now I get a butt-load of errors during install. (80+ at most, and never the same).

Formatted NTFS on the two HDD's I have, rebooted, Primary Unknown, Secondary NTFS, booted recovery console and ran FIXMBR and DISKPART and both said NTFS. Booted back into XP DOS setup, primary unknown, secondary NTFS.

Tried install on secondary MBR, same 80+ errors and that's when I had to head to work.

If anyone has any ideas, please reply, will check in tomorrow.

it's not the HD's, I just bought one of them and the other was booting XP before all this. And I don't think it's the board, because it would not have booted XP in the first place

* Specs

Dragon Ultra SY-P4S
    250GB(x2) IDE HDD (Single Partitions)
    Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. darkhanzou

darkhanzou Thread Starter

I've done the pre-partition already and that didn't work, even used Partition Magic. It's a custom built machine. I stopped by my computer store yesterday and found out that I was running a 40-pin IDE cable to it, needed an 80, so I got that, now they both show as NTFS all the time, but I am still getting the buttloads of errors, even on a CD that has no evidence of scratches, dust or damage. I'm running out of ideas.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Try changing the CMOS battery before doing the format and when doing the next one remove the partitions using the windows install disk Not a separate disk.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!