1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown PCI device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mtolgae, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtolgae

mtolgae Thread Starter

Hello everyone. This is my first post here.
    I made a search on both google and the forum on this issue. But none of the solutions worked for me.

System Info:

Windows Xp SP3
    Gigabyte GTS 450
    Realtek ALC 888 Onboard sound
    Gigabyte 965p-DS3 mainboard

First, what happened:

I am on a Xp Sp3 PC. I bought an Nvidia gts 450. After uninstalling all the drivers of my previous ati card, I used driversweeper for a clean install. I also removed my Asus Sonar DX sound card the same way, since the graphic card left no space for it and decided to go for onboard Realtek ALC 888.

Installed graphics driver, then realtek driver.

The problem:

I have that annoying "new PCI device found" message. What is more interesting I skip the message but there is no yellow question mark in the device manager on the PCI device.

When I check the device identity (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0BE9&SUBSYS_34FE1458&REV_A1) it appears to be Nvidia. What I got from most of the forums is it is the Nvidia HD audio device. 0BE9 returns no matches in device search (http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=0BE9&device_search=Search)

I do have the "hdaudbus.dll" file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

What I tried so far:

Uninstalled - reinstalled drivers.
    Disabled the PCI driver since it seems it has no function. Everything, including sound work.
    Removed the device. (Both in disabling and removing the device, Windows keeps finding new PCI device when it starts)
    I tried driver search in Nvidia graphic card driver CD.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is most likely the cause of your problem. Generally driversweeper is not needed unless there is a problem after removing the drivers from add/remove programs.

To properly install a new video card;
    1 Remove all software related to the card from add/remove programs. Since this was ati, you use the ati uninstall mgr.
    2 When done, reboot when prompted. Cancel any found new hardware wiz.
    3 Shutdown and pull out your old card. Install new card.
    4 Pw ON and again cancel any found new hardware wiz. Install the latest driver from nvidia. DO NOT install using the support CD. The drivers on that are very often many months out of date.
    5 Reboot if prompted.

4. mtolgae

mtolgae Thread Starter

@daz1: I already tried Unknown Device Identifier, but it couldn't identify it too.

@crjdriver: I did almost exactly that. I uninstalled it regularly. Then I restarted and run driversweeper afterwards.

BTW another strange thing is that I have four Nvidia HDaudio device in device manager.

I probably messed something up. I hope I will be able to find it out soon.
    Thanks for your replies.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do you by chance have an image backup of your system drive?

6. mtolgae

mtolgae Thread Starter

It might work, if only I had it :( Since I have never seen it work, I had disabled it long time ago. But that reminded me another thing which could work. I have registry backups of the system created by Tuneup utilities and CCleaner and going to try them (fingers crossed).
    Anyway thanks for the clue.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  8. mtolgae

mtolgae Thread Starter

None worked. It keeps popping out everytime I start windows. Will try last one thing. I am going to install a clean windows on my empty 30 GB partition and see if it will work properly. If it does I will format my 3 year old, non-formatted windows which was working without hiccups so far. Thanks all.

9. Irukku

Irukku

Relax, your system doesn't need a restore, is not dying or anything, and installing your motherboard's audio drivers would obviously not work, because the HD audio device you got there is part of your new video card (HDMI port).

Use the driver install utility in the CD you got with your graphics card. I have that card (EVGA though) and I've installed that driver myself from the CD.

If it still doesn't install the drivers, download the newest drivers from NVidia's website:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-260.99-whql-driver.html

And let it install everything.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ah, well spotted Irukku !

11. Irukku

Irukku

:D... sorry if I sounded mean...

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You didn't :)

13. mtolgae

mtolgae Thread Starter

Finally! :)
    Happily re-installing SP3 worked for me.
    Btw, I had already tried different versions of the nvidia driver including the driver install utility in the CD.
    Thanks for all messages.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you got it to work. Did you just reinstall the service pack or clean install xp with sp3?

15. mtolgae

mtolgae Thread Starter

Only reinstalled SP3.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice