1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown power supply connector on power cord dell PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by terenceterence, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terenceterence

terenceterence Thread Starter

I have just bought a Dell 19.5 V 90 W power supply adapter for a Dell from ebay. The PSU turned up this morning without a power cord. That's annoying enough but when I looked the connector needed is a type I have never seen before. The centre pin is slightly longer and wider than the other two so I assume that is the Earth pin. The centre pin is also offset between the other two. Again I suppose for connecting only 1 way. The two outer pins have a distance of just under 2 cms between them. Please can anyone tell me what type of connector this is. If I can get some info on it then I may be able to get one.

Thank you Terence

45647384_177563853186173_3987491605186609152_n.jpg

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Post a link to that charger on Ebay please. Also check if there is a diagram of that connector on the outside of the charger.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is there a Dell model number on the power supply?

4. terenceterence

5. terenceterence

I have discovered what this connector is all about. Please read the following copy and paste from an American power cord supplier.
    [​IMG]
    Ken Puskas
    5:25 PM (34 minutes ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to Richard, me
    [​IMG]

I’ve seen this before. It was a terrible idea from the Dell Team a few years ago.

The power input should be this:

[​IMG]

But if you want the device to be grounded, you’ll need this:

[​IMG]

Dell wanted to keep a flat profile for the Power adapter, so they custom designed this:

[​IMG]

It was literally the worst idea ever. It only helps make your customer mad when they can’t buy a replacement. Its not an IEC recognized connector, either. They paid a ton of money to get this approved with UL and CSA, only to abandon it due to complaints.

Here is the good news. Your laptop needs 19.5 V / 4.62A output from the adapter, which is the most common laptop power adapter I/O config on the earth.

The only hang up will be the barrel jack that plugs into the laptop itself. For most, its universal. I personally have HP and Dell laptops that are interchangeable.

I don’t have what you’re looking for, but if you have a Power Adapter that has an Output Rating of 19.5V/4.62A (most are), and the barrel jack side fits into your laptop, it will work.

Lastly, many of the online listings for Model ADP-90AH B have the “C5” input configuration already. It’s the 2nd image in this email (looks like mickey mouse).

Here is a link to something that may work: https://www.amazon.com/replacement-DA90PE0-00-DA90PE1-00-DA90PE3-00-DA90PS0-00/dp/B00G9N8RV6

There are many online sellers that have equivalents, too.

Sorry if this was confusing, or “you’re welcome” if it helped.

:\

Ken Puskas

[​IMG]

6. terenceterence

I see the images have not come out but I will send them to you separately. image 4.png

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Strange design by Dell, I've never seen one like that but I'm in the UK so they may not have sold them here.

That cable seller was very helpful, a shame you can't buy it from him.

(you might want to Edit you post #4 and remove some of the duplicate pictures, up to you).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice