1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown Process Owner

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DaCat, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaCat

DaCat Thread Starter

Please help. I have a two part issue but feel that they are related cause I noticed them at the same time.

To begin with, when I look at the task manager, all processes are listed with "(UNKNOWN)" as the owner.
    [​IMG]

Then also when I look at system properties under the 'Computer Name' tab, I get an access denied message.
    [​IMG]

Weirdly enough, when accessing the 'Computer Name' tab using the 'Network Connections' folder and then selecting 'Network Identification' fromt he 'Advanced' menu the tab opens without issue.
    [​IMG]

I am running a WinXP SP2 OS with McAfee VirusScan and Firewall. I used to also have Adaware previous to the recent upgrade of McAfee. When scanning system everything comes back clean. Please help. Thank you.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I would suggest backing up all of your important date to another media like CD-R's or DVD as soon as possible.

Also do you have the recovery or Windows install software for this computer?

3. DaCat

DaCat Thread Starter

I do have the XP software on CD for this computer. I will backup all the data as you suggested, but what is it that you are anticipating is happening? What happened to cause this to happen?

4. DaCat

DaCat Thread Starter

Here is some additional info. Quite Interesting.

The above mentioned symptoms only occur when I am the first to log into XP. If my wife logs in first then all works well. If I switch over to me, it continues to be fine. Seems like there may be an issue with the initial boot process logging in as myself. Any ideas???

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice