1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unknown system error???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jkenyon21, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jkenyon21

jkenyon21 Thread Starter

i have been trying to print a resume and been given this "unknown system error" every time. ive ran my scandisk and my antivirus but both show up clean. it also seems to be having an effect when im online and i cant reply to email not send them. i dont know much about my computer so any help would be much appreciated. thanks, john

2. beach51

beach51

Hi John,and welcome to TSG.When did this problem start?Have you download anything lately?Have you cleaned out your temp files?What OS are your running(98 98se,ME,etc)Have you installed any new hardware lately?

3. jkenyon21

jkenyon21 Thread Starter

but just this morning, i downloaded windows update and explorer 7.0 and it seems to have cleared up the printer problem. i just tried to email something and that is still not working. I hit send and it comes back as an empty email page. (just like you were going to send and email and had to fill in the particulars still). i have defragmented recently and also did a disk cleanup but still having the email problem. im going to ask yahoo and see if they can help. stupid ??? how do i do what you suggested with the internet files. thanks, john

4. beach51

beach51

Ok John,I think you mean IE 6.Some peolpe have no problems with that version while alot of people do.Lets try this first and see if if helps.Go to Start>settings>control panel>add and remove programs>highlight IE and internet tools>click remove>this will bring up the repair dialog window>put a tick in repair Ie>click ok.

Let us know if you get a clean repair.

As for cleaning out your temp files the best way to do it is through dos.Go to Start>Shutdown>Restart in Ms-dos>at the c:\prompt type,

smartdrv (hit the enter key)
    Deltree/y Tempor~1 (hit the enter key)
    Deltree/y History
    Deltree/y Cookies
    Deltree/y Downlo~1

Exit (hit the enter key,this will boot you back to windows)

Lets us know how you make out

5. jkenyon21

jkenyon21 Thread Starter

with the clean up, it told me to restart windows and then it didnt tell me it was clean repair or not so i guess that means it is??? next i tried to clean out my temp files. I did the smartdrv and that went through but i hit a snag with the next part. could be just lack of computer savvy but this is what i did: c:\deltree/ytempor~1 but on the other screen the ~was up high. i dont know if that was wrong or not. but lets go on. next i did: c:\deltree/yhistory and so on for the rest of them. but each time it came up invalid switch??? again i hate to say it but im clueless. Im stuck again will wait for your next response.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I think it's best to run the commands without the /y switch which overrides the confirmation prompt. There may be a problem with the spacing there, I haven't tried it that way.

run the commands in this form:

deltree history

For each deltree you will receive a prompt to confirm the directory. If the target directory is correct (eg history) press 'y'

When you go to Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-DOS mode you will be at the c:\windows\> prompt, which is where you want to be.

When finished you can enter exit or do a ctrl-alt-del to restart.

7. jkenyon21

jkenyon21 Thread Starter

i was able to do those things in ms-dos.but i still seem to be having a problem sending email. i tried in both my yahoo and hotmail to no succes. heres another little problem probably separate but who knows. sometimes, lets say 50% of the time when i go to shut down my computer i get the fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:BFF88112. Basically its says i didnt shut down windows properly but i know i did with the start>shut down procedure, so i dont know what that is about either. I appreciate all your help so far, thanks, john:)

8. beach51

beach51

Ok John,lets have a look at your startup programs.Go to Start>Run>type in Msinfo32 click ok.Click on the + sign next to software environment>click on startup programs>click on edit>select all>click edit>copy and come back here and paste the page.

9. jkenyon21

jkenyon21 Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    Clean install using /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=c:\windows\options\cabs /IS /IW /IQ /ID /IV /IZ /II /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    IE 5 6.0.2600.0000
    Uptime: 0:09:32:07
    Normal mode
    On "0017159516" as "john kenyon"
    Gateway, Inc.
    GenuineIntel Pentium(r) III Processor
    64MB RAM
    60% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (7002MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 7002MB of 9777MB (FAT32)
    here ya go.

10. beach51

beach51

Ok John,When you get to msinfo32 which is what you posted,in the left side of the window,you will see +software environment,click on the + sign,this will drop down a window,click on startup programs>at the top of the window click edit>click select all>click edit again and click copy.Now come back and post the page.

11. jkenyon21

jkenyon21 Thread Starter

sorry took so long we went to church.
    Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE" -b -l
    Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders Startup Group "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Installer\{9944aa9e-362d-11d3-81ab-00c04fb932ba}\1960F8A9.exe"
    GoBack Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Wild File\GoBack\GBMenu.exe" /t
    Gateway.net 5.0 Tray Icon Startup Group "C:\Gateway.net 5.0\gwtray.exe" -check
    load Win.ini C:\OPLIMIT\ocraware.exe
    run Win.ini hpfsched
    Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
    MoneyAgent Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
    AIM Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    Yahoo! Pager Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\ypager.exe
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    EnsoniqMixer Registry (Machine Run) starter.exe
    Multi-function Keyboard Registry (Machine Run) GWHotKey.exe
    Norton Auto-Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
    QAGENT Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Intuit\QAgent\QAGENT.EXE
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    GoBack Polling Service Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Wild File\GoBack\GBPoll.exe

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

13. jkenyon21

jkenyon21 Thread Starter

home personel computer. the printer seems to be working fine now. im still having the problem with the email. it comes up as an empty email form ie no address, subject, when i try to reply or compose from scratch. im clueless:confused:

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You might want to post a separate subject in the Web>Email forum for this to get more targeted help. I only use online Email myself, and that would be the best forum for it. Be sure to tell what kind of email client you are using (eg. Outlook Express, etc...)

But in the meantime try running the IE Repair Tool through Add/Remove programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q194177

Also go to Tools>Internet Options>Programs tab and click the "reset web settings" option.

You also have the option of restoring a registry prior to the problem. Although it may be necessary to reinstall any more recent updates after that, not sure about it. To restore a previous registry, go to start>shutdown>restart in MS-DOS mode.

At the c:\windows\>prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

select a started registry from 1 of the 4 present which predates the problem. I'm not sure what you installed since then, but it would have to be redone if you restore a previous registry.

15. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Are you using Outlook Express? Did you add an email account? Go to the toolbar and look under Tools>accounts
    Do you have any mail accounts listed?
    Look in IE
    Tools>Internet Options>Programs
    Look at the menu for Email.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice