1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unkown PCI Device - Looks like SMBus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drewlane, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drewlane

drewlane Thread Starter

I just did a clean install of Windows 2000 on an old IBM NetVista.

I upgraded the BIOS to the latest before doing so.

Everything is looking pretty good except I've got one device that isn't recognized in Device Manager. Device Manager does not say what it is - just the yellow ! mark.

I ran Aida32 and was able to determine that the unknown device appears to be an Intel 828101BA SMBus Controller.

I ran the Intel Inf Installer, but I still can't get Windows to recognize the device.

I'm not noticing any problems, but it would be nice to figure out what's going on.

What do you suggest I try now?

Thanks!

2. rugrat

rugrat

3. drewlane

drewlane Thread Starter

I think it's a Netvista 2254, although it possible the motherboard doesn't match up.

It's got an Intel 815 chipset.

This is the file I ran:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4N2NW8

I went ahead and downloaded via the link you provided and just installed that. Now it looks like the problem with the SMBus is gone but something happened to the audio.

Everything is playing at twice the speed it should...it sounds like Alvin and the chipmonks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/458561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice