1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Unloading" won't progress? Help. :(

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by irpissed, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. irpissed

irpissed Thread Starter

Hello, I'm trying to install Windows 7. Currently I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium x64.

I downloaded a 32 bit (x86) version of Windows 7 which came with 3 files: 2 .box files and a setup (executable) file. i.e, setup1.box, setup2.box and win7-p-retail-en-usx86.exe.

I ran the file and the dialog box says "Unloading the Box", however, there is no progress. I left it to run for 4-5 hours, and there was still no progression. Only a folder called expandedSetup was created with a file called Win7Setup.wim inside.

Can someone help me? I'd really love to get rid of Vista and get the best out of my system using Windows 7. :D Thank you.

Here's a screenshot of my problem: http://i41.tinypic.com/2jwh2f.jpg

EDIT: I think I should add that I tried to "Run as Administrator", I tried turning my firewall off: neither worked.

EDIT II: I fixed it! :D Thanks for all the help...or lack thereof. A simple re-download of the .exe file fixed it.

2. lazybear

lazybear

From looking at your screenshot, it looks like you have at least 11 windows open. Your trying to install an OS and you're running your computer at full blast. Try closing all of that stuff that you think you need open and then try again. Installing an OS takes a good portion if not all of your resources to do, if your already using those resources on something else then it's going to take days to install it.

3. irpissed

irpissed Thread Starter

You seem to have misread what I said.

I'm not INSTALLING the OS, I'm merely unpacking the actual installation files that would THEN be used to install the OS.

Me having those programs opened had nothing to do with it, as I have more than enough 'resources' to go around to support these programs without any noticeable depreciation in my computer's performance.

Anyway, as I said, I already solved my problem, albeit, on my own.

This thread may be closed now.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I was curious about how you were upgrading from Windows Vista(64-bit) to Windows 7(32-bit) because the only way for it to be done is to do a custom install instead of an upgrade.

From the Microsoft site:

If you're running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only upgrade to a 32-bit version of Windows 7. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Otherwise, you'll need to use the custom option to install Windows 7.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. irpissed

irpissed Thread Starter

I wasn't upgrading. I was merely installing Windows 7 on a partition. I didn't alter Vista in any way; I still have it.

It was an x64 (Vista), btw.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice