unlock amd phenom II 550 BE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blaze_spirit9999

my friend juz get an AMD 550 BE on hand recently and plan to unlock the other 2 core that are disable.( hope he is lucky enough to unlck it successfully). im curios about the 2 disable cores.

1) if the 2 core successfully unlock, is it run on the same clock speed as the 2 normal cores, thats is 3.1 Ghz ?

2) how about the cache it have ? L1, L2 and L3 ?

3) will the heat generated be greatly increased if the other 2 cores are unlocked ?

4) will this void it warrenty ?

5) how bout the power comsumption after the 2 cores are unlocked ?

thank you.:)

1) Yes, unless you down- or overclock the CPU afterwards.
2) Cache amount doesn't change, AFAIK
3) Most probably pretty much, get an overclocking capable aftermarket cooler beforehand. Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme/TRUE Black.
4) Not exactly sure. I would think so, it's pretty much "overclocking".
5) Not very significant change, but you will want a good quality power supply that's well enough for the system anyways.

blaze_spirit9999

thanks so much for the reply, after the parts are assemble ( we bought the component separately and assemble ourself), we run boot up the pc and the temperature shown in the bios was 41-43 degree celsius (we doesn't installed the windows yet cuz we forgot to get another sata cable for the dvd drive). is this the normal temperature for a pc on idle state (with cool & quiet enable)?

the spec for the pc is :
amd P II 550 BE
msi 770 c-45
kingston 2 GB ddr 3 1333 mhz ram
WD 500 GB HDD
LG DVD-combo drive
Cooler Master extreme power 500 w
XFX ati HD 4850 GPU
Power logic casing

crjdriver

You do understand that AMD disables the cores [most of the time] because the cpu would not pass quality control.

I am wondering why you would want to enable something that did not pass QC?

If you want a quad core cpu, then buy one. Do not expect to buy a dual core and unlock the other two cores and have it run reliably.

blaze_spirit9999

em..., too embarrassed to say, unlock the other 2 cores juz for fun, my friend and i are very interest in doing such a thing and trying something new.( sometime oso worry about the warranty will be voided :p).

crjdriver

As long as you are doing it for a learning experience, fine. If you expect the system to run stable after doing this, you may have problems.

You can always install a real quad core if it proves to be problem prone.

I would run prime95 after unlocking the cores to test the system for stability. Note download the latest ver of p95. Older ver are not made for quads.

blaze_spirit9999

As long as you are doing it for a learning experience, fine. If you expect the system to run stable after doing this, you may have problems.

You can always install a real quad core if it proves to be problem prone.

I would run prime95 after unlocking the cores to test the system for stability. Note download the latest ver of p95. Older ver are not made for quads.
thanks for the advise. Since the amd 550 is AM3 socket, if he really need a quad core, he can upgrade it anytime , right ?

prime 95, heard it before. is a tool used to stressed the system after OC. will try it if the other 2 cores successfully unlock.

crjdriver

As long as the board supports the cpu you are going to install, then yes. Just because it is AM3, does NOT mean it supports ALL AM3s. A good example is the new 965 140W cpu. Many boards will not support a 140W cpu because of the amount of current needed; ie they have low end VRs, caps, etc and cannot support a high draw cpu.

blaze_spirit9999

As long as the board supports the cpu you are going to install, then yes. Just because it is AM3, does NOT mean it supports ALL AM3s. A good example is the new 965 140W cpu. Many boards will not support a 140W cpu because of the amount of current needed; ie they have low end VRs, caps, etc and cannot support a high draw cpu.
Thanks again for the notice. will keep it in mind,:).

blaze_spirit9999

ok. i try to update the bios from 1.20 to 1.30 and set the ACC -> auto and EC firmware to special. after save & exit, the mobo cannot boot into windows but it have no problem get into bios..... is this mean that im no luck to unlock the other 2 cores? Or there are other setting i missed out ?

Yes, no luck with the cores, you didn't get a marginally-disqualified quad. You could try with a slightly higher CPU and/or NB voltage, but that's a whole new risk of damaging the CPU/board. Another possibility would be to down-clock the CPU slightly, the ditched cores might work at 2.8 or something.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online