1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unlock workstation without closing session

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sue_brighton, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sue_brighton

sue_brighton Thread Starter

For WinNT, Win2000, and WinXP, when a workstation is locked, nobody but the person who locked that station (not even an admin) can unlock the station. When an administator tries to unlock the station, the session will close immediately shutting down all the applications that are currently running on the system. This often poses a problem for us. We often see yellow stickies asking people not to touch the system. Shutting down someones system is simply not an option.

This does not make any sense to me! This, in effect gives a regular user more power than an administrator who should have absolute control over the system.

Ideally, as an administrator, I would like to be able to truely unlock the system. That is, unlock the system without closing the session.

Anyone know how or even if this is possible?

Sue

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

That's a security feature. You would need the user's password to unlock without closing everything.

3. sue_brighton

sue_brighton Thread Starter

Hi cybertech

Thanks for you feedback. I do think that I may have found a solution though.

Although I have not found a way of doing this using the OS itself I have found a third party app that does pretty much what I want to do.

The Transparent Screen Lock (which locks your system either in Transparent mode where you can still see the screen or blanks the screen) can be set to be unlock by the user or an Administrator. When the system is unlocked the user's session is perserved.

Anyone have any experience with this product? Any feedback would be nice.

You can find more info on this product at
    http://www.e-motional.com/tscreenlock.htm

Sue

4. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Looks like a cool product. Let me know if you choose it and like it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice