1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unlocked 4th core, stress tested but won't load Windows anymore...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slow_slow_PC, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slow_slow_PC

slow_slow_PC Thread Starter

mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
    processor: AMD Athlon II X3 450 (Rana)

1. Unlocked 4th core through bios ACC options (became Phenom II X4 B50)
    2. Played Fallout 3 for 4 hours.
    3. Converted an HD video.
    4. Prime95 for 12 hours. (no crash)
    5. Shut down.
    6. Booted it up the next day.
    7. Restarted by itself when it go to the Starting Windows screen. (5 times)
    8. Went into bios and increased vcore to 1.450v and vcpu-nb to 1.400v to no avail.
    9. Changed back to tri-core and Windows loads properly.

My question is, what is the problem? Why is it that even after I ran so much stress testing without crashing, yet now it cannot even load the Windows welcome screen without restarting? Did the 4th core just suddenly decide not to work anymore?

2. olryst

olryst

It sounds likely that theres something up with the 4th core, could be a weak core that failed.

It was disabled by AMD afterall.

3. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

The best I can suggest is that you see if AMD will provide a copy of the program they use to test their cores & see what that says. I can think of 2 possibilities and both are theoretical since I rarely get involved in hardware testing. First is it possible that your 'stress testing' didn't target the 4th core? Maybe most of the testing was run on the 1st 3 cores? And second, is it possible that your testing didn't stress all parts of the core? Perhaps the flaw is in how it handles a specific op code, for example?

4. slow_slow_PC

i ran Prime95 on 'blend', not sure if that makes a difference.

however, i have kinda given up on trying to revive the 4th core as temperatures would get up to 67c without OC while stress testing. on the other hand, 3 cores at 3.4GHz hasn't gone over 50c. I think I'll just tweat the settings, get a better heatsink and stick with 3 cores.

unless someone else has any bright ideas...

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I'd run NovaBench on it, with 3 cores then with 4, to see if the Cpu Score changes much.

6. slow_slow_PC

i can't even get into windows with 4 cores so that's not going to work.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice