1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unlocking Excel Spreadsheets.. ?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Dara, May 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dara

Dara Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet, that I need to modify, it is Password protected, and I dont have the password for it. Is there anyway around this.. ? I cant download one of the crackers because of firewall... IS there anyway around this ? :confused:

Many Thanks,

Dara

2. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

Before advising you, I would have to ask why you are trying to access data that someone felt the need to protect? The only ethical way to be able to view the information is to ask the person who applied the password if you may access their spreadsheet. ;)

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

When a worksheet is protected, it's simply to keep someone from manipulating the data on it, and not to keep access to viewing the data. Anyone could recreate a worksheet they can see--it just takes a lot longer. Now, if you cannot open the file, I cannot help. But the code here will crack the sheet protection in about...oh...a millisecond: http://www.theofficeexperts.com/VBASamples/Excel02.htm

4. XL Guru

XL Guru

If it's a worksheet password, there's a minute chance it's been applied for the purpose of hiding formulas, intellectual property-wise.

From the wording of the question, it's probably a workbook password. Maybe you've forgotten your own password, or an employee left & forgot to remove it, or someone applied one it as a joke, etc.

The best disclaimer I've seen (by J E McGimpsey, an Excel consultant) is as follows :

DISCLAIMER: Please note that breaking password protection MAY violate laws or regulations in your jurisdiction. In the United States (currently) it is certainly OK to break password protection on sheets that you developed for your personal use, or for which you have permission from the author or owner. It's probably OK if you own the workbook, even if it was written by someone else. If in doubt, ask the original author, and if you can't ask - don't use it!

http://www.elcomsoft.com/aoxppr.html

Rgds,
    Andy

5. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

Dreamboat, as always I bow to your expertise, but on this occasion I would still suggest that a password has been applied for a reason. If the person requesting a method to hack the situation has not provided the justification to do so (i.e., it is my own password and I have forgotten it), I believe we are doing a disservice by providing them with the means. :(

Truth be told, I am never for providing methods that would allow someone to break a password code. That point of view, admittedly, comes from my beliefs that are grounded in my career - Computer Security Administration :p

Playing Devil's Advocate: For all we know, this requestor is a disgruntled employee and may be asking for the information to induce harm, rather than good... ;)

6. XL Guru

XL Guru

Hi MsPCGenius.

>> For all we know, this requestor is ...

... an employer who had to fire someone for gross negligence and now has a problem cos said someone decided it would be a wheeze to assign x XL files "file open" passwords.

Of course we should err on the side of caution, unless our hobby is being sued. There's a forum rule for P2P software, mebbe there should be something similar for this?

>> Playing Devil's Advocate:

I love that game ; can we have it in the arcade? :D

Best rgds,
    Andy

7. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

.... in which case they should not be coming to a public forum for assistance. They should be heading straight to someone internally for advice. Or, if someone is not available inside they could outsource (for a fee)...

I know that all sounds rather rash, but..... data is secure for a reason. If you suspect someone will tamper with information make backups (i.e., before you fire someone -- something we have done on several occassions) :rolleyes:

8. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> I know that all sounds rather rash

Of course it doesn't. IMO there's very little between us. I never post the "sheet password cracker code". But the facts remain that (a) hindsight is marvellous (b) assuming Dara isn't on the level, s/he can read this thread & reply "I was too upset to mention it but my recently departed spouse kept all our finance info in XL & now I can't get in & the bailiffs are at the door PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME".

Which is why I attempted to be constructive by suggesting a rule, but you didn't comment on that bit.

Rgds,
    Andy

9. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

Not intentionally :) I'm not around these forums enough to be familiar with any of the "rules" so I didn't feel informed enough to comment ;)

10. Dara

Dara Thread Starter

hi,

Thanks for all your replys, I will read into them now.. (y)

But just for clarification, the spreadsheet I need unlocked, is an email I got for the Soccer World Cup 2002. It is an electronic chart, where by you put in the scores for each game, and it automatically calculates winner of each group, which team progresses etc...I wanted to perhaps try my hand at re-arranging team names for the forth-coming European soccer championships this summer..
    But I cant alter spreadsheet because it is p/word protected..

Nothing sinister at all. I assure you.. I dont know who originally made said spreadsheet so I cant get password..... Im sure you understand...

Many thanks again, will let you know how I get on !!!

Sáinte

11. Dara

Dara Thread Starter

BTW, If anyone is top-notch at unlocking these, I would gladly email said spreadsheet to you, so you can see for yourself it is nothing un-toward....and you might unlock and email back.... :confused:

I have not got correct version of excel at home, & I have spreadsheet on work PC, so I cannot access these unlocking sites because of Works firewall...

12. temp

temp

email it to me, [email protected]

13. kath100

kath100

14. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> No password ...

Actually there's workbook & worksheet passwords, hidden sheets, ...

But if the layout suits your needs for the Euro 2004 FOOTBALL Championships that won't be a problem. kath100 was very kind to track that down for you.

Rgds,
    Andy

15. p51

p51

Our company is closing this plant, by the end of the year. Phasing out has begun, and several people have left, whether by lay off, or on their own, to beat the lay off. We had several spreadsheets, from some of these employees, that we could view but were unable to edit. Dreamboat's link, above, worked like a champ....Coming from Dreamboat, I would expect nothing less!! Thanks, yet again, Dreamy!

p51

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/231701