1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unlocking iphone

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by agbe981, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agbe981

agbe981 Thread Starter

i bought and iphone which is locked to 02 7.0(as the carrier when i check from the about menu), the model number mc131b and the version is 4.0.2(8A400).

can someone help me the procedures and the software i will need to unlock it so i can use any sim of my choice? i would be very glad for your help. thank you

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i'm afraid we cannot help in unlocking phones on this forum
    so closing the post

EDIT
    I have been advised that it is perfectly legal to unlock phones in the US - so re-opened the post

3. HaroRider

HaroRider

contact person you bought it from?

4. Ami007

Ami007

5. alimorgana

alimorgana

Hey,

If it is an iPhone 4 then your in luck, I was in exactly the same situation as you were. You said that your on iOS version 4.0.2, which means that your baseband (Modem Firmware) is 01.59.00. Don't what ever you do upgrade to 4.1 using iTunes, it will upgrade your baseband and you won't be able to unlock until iOS 4.2 comes out which is sometime later this month. If you really want to have 4.1 (for game centre and some other stuff) then there is a more complicated method by using Tinyumbrella to upgrade to 4.1 preserving your baseband, but I would just stay on 4.0.2 and jailbreak that. Alright, so again this only works for iPhone, if you got a 3GS then the unlock won't work.

Firstly save your SHSH Blobs (optional), this will save a copy of the current state of your device allowing you to downgrade if you need to in the future, your unable to downgrade without it.

http://www.iphoneworld.ca/news/2010/10/13/tutorial-how-to-save-ios-shsh-blobs-iphone-ipad-itouch/

Secondly, you need to Jailbreak your iPhone 4. To do this I would using Limera1n, www.limera1n.com and download the appropriate version depending on your OS.

http://apps-ipad.info/2010/11/limer...ne-3gs-iphone-4-ipad-ipod-touch-3rd-4rth-gen/

That the hard part over (if you can call it hard), now to unlock it you need to install Ultrasn0w, this is done on your iPhone 4 through Cydia. Once downloaded and installed, reboot your device and your iPhone will/should be unlocked.
    When I first did it, i didn't think it worked because it wasn't picking up any signal, just reboot it a few times, and leave it alone to pick up a signal for 10-15 min. It literally wouldn't work at all at first, then about an hour later, it suddenly just came up with my new network. So give it time. Also the bit that says 'o2 7.0', (I had Orange 7.0 UK) stayed there for the first 2 days, then it disappeared, it still worked initially without it going away though. It's all a bit weird.

Anyway, I hope this helped and I know you posted a while back, but I only just joined this Forum today.

Have fun!

Alex

6. agbe981

agbe981 Thread Starter

unfortunately i didn't know and i upgraded it to 4.1, does it mean i can't unlock it as at now? will i be able to unlock this before the year ends? i really need some answers

7. alimorgana

alimorgana

Hey,

Do you have an iPhone 3G/3GS? If you do then I think an unlock came out for it today, read this site:
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
    If you have an iPhone 4 then I don't know. If you just google it then you should find what your looking for. I'm pretty sure it will be out before christmas though, just make sure you don't upgrade to 4.2 as that might upgrade your baseband again forcing you to have to wait even longer.
    Also I don't know how well the unlock will work. Some people have said it works fine, however for me the 3G wouldn't work, and the signal kept saying 'No Service'. It got to the point were it would say 'No Service' constantly, even in areas where I know I should get full signal. So I'm just saying that it may not work perfectly for you, it's so much easier to use the proper carrier, saves sooo much hassle. I ended up just giving up and using the the Orange sim instead.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Alex

8. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Closing thread. Anyone following advice about unlocking should read and heed.

This was re-opened, but there has been a decision on wireless phone unlocking help taking place here at TechGuy.org that was finalized just today, so I am posting this notice which has become our policy for assistance with phone unlocking:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/958067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice