1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unmountable boot volume - blue screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blueiris, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blueiris

blueiris Thread Starter

turned off the computer, while it was shutting down I turned off power to the powersurger plug that has everything about the computer pluged into it. (It's my son's computer-do not know if it is set up to do a windows XP update at shutting down)

Blue Screen error
    Windows needed to shut down to prevent damage

UNmountabel Boot Volume

tried all I could with F8 start mode w/command prompt, tried the other options as well.
    Dell said put in Windows XP reinstallation Cd in .
    Is it safe to use an old Windows XP reinstalation Disk from older Dell 1996-2001
    The only one I can find.

Should I follow part of drumgirl67 Jan 2006 instruction answer. tx's

2. blueiris

blueiris Thread Starter

thanks anyway, frustration pays ....actually $150 to a guy who will hopefully fix it. I'd rather give a site like this those bucks. It's obvious this is a wonderful site.

3. valis

valis Moderator

$150.....ouch.....should be about a 10 minute fix.....pop in the cd, boot to repair install, get to the dos prompt, run chkdsk /r, everytime I've hit that blue screen that procedure fixes it.

Paraphrased, of course.

Hope you stick around. This is a great site; fun crew, loads of knowledge to be had for the askin'.

4. blueiris

blueiris Thread Starter

If I had the window XP disk, I would have tried what you suggested, I saw the instructions on other replies for similar problems. I was just afraid to use the older cd i had to his first Dell. Thanks

5. novelwriter5

novelwriter5

From what I understand, the disc that comes with the PC is the disc that is for THAT particular hard drive only. I would imagine that you can solve it another way, but it was wise on your part to NOT use a different disc from another PC. My wife has the same XP Home Editon that I do, and they are both HP PCs. I was going to use her installation disc when I was informed that it would not work. I had an "unmountable boot volume" error once. It means that your master boot record is corrupt or damaged. This just happens from time to time. I don't think that what you did caused it - it just happened. I ran "scan disc" as a maintainence thing, and it happened to me. I was told by my PC school that it was probably already weak, and the "scan disc" just pushed it over the edge.

Michael

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice