1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unmountable Boot Volume blue screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by colorowdy, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colorowdy

colorowdy Thread Starter

I had a missing dll file and some software would not launch. Used a resgistery fix software which seemed to work well but my email software was not working properly. The support tech advised me to restore the backup from the registery cleanup then reboot my system and reinstall a different version that would not mess with my email software. I restored, and when I tried to Reboot I got the blue screen Unmountable Boot Volume. Researched this with Dell support (my computer is a 2400 series Dell) rebooted to the utility partition and ran the dell diagnostics. When it checked my hard drive the test failed with error oFoo:1A44 BUT the seek,s.m.a.r.t.,start unit, stop unit passed the verify failed giving me the same error. I restarted and ran IDE diagnostics and received an error 7. I then went back to the dell support site to find the only option they have is for me to restore which of course means I loose all data and drivers. If I truly must restore can I possible save information from my hard drive by connecting to an external hard drive? I was told this may be possible through the IDE port? not sure what or where this port is and if this is truly possible. Seems to me I would need another computer networked to my sick computer to save data...if that is even possible?? Suggestions? :confused:

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/760718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice