1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unmountable Boot Volume

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jacksmoon27, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacksmoon27

Jacksmoon27 Thread Starter

How to fix the “Unmountable Boot Volume” error.

I have a Gateway Laptop Model MX 6121 that’s quite a few years old (I’m not sure exactly but it’s definitely more than 7 years old).
    Recently I have encountered the error screen “Unmountable Boot Volume” that prevents me from booting my computer.
    I’ve read numerous solutions and the closest I’ve come to solving the problem involved downloading a Windows XP ISO and creating a boot disk. I boot from the disk and once the program has finished loading I get a screen that says this:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.
    To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press enter.
    To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
    To delete the selected partition, press D.

38155 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    C: Partition1 [Unknown] 38146 MB <38146 MB free>
    Unpartitioned Space 8 MB

I choose “C:” and I hit enter. Then I get to a screen that says this:

An error occurred while Setup was updating partition information on:
    38155 MB Disk 0 Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR].
    Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

There are no other options so I press F3 and I get to one final screen:

Windows XP has not been installed on this computer. If there is a floppy disk in drive A:, remove it. To restart your computer press enter.

Windows XP has been installed on the computer so I don’t understand that final message. Do I need to buy a hard drive repair program? Should I buy an actual Windows XP installation disc? Or are there other ways to fix the problem?

2. renegade600

renegade600

try the following if you have an xp disk

1. Insert your XP installation disc into disc drive and boot up your computer.
    2. When you see a welcome screen, hit the R key on your keyboard. This will enter you into recovery mode with a DOS prompt.
    3. Now type chkdsk /p and hit Enter. This will launch a utility which will check for errors on your hard drive.
    4. After the process is done, type fixboot and hit Enter to repair any damaged boot files which may have become corrupted. When asked to say yes or no, type the Y key on your keyboard.
    5. Type exit and press the Enter key to reboot your computer.

if that does not work, there are other suggestions in the post you made at cnet forums.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice