1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unmountable Boot Volume

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by zac.b, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zac.b

zac.b Thread Starter

Hi there,

A few days back, I attempted to boot up my computer, and rather than seeing the usual Vista welcome screen, I had a choice of starting Windows normally or running a repair. I turned off automatic restart upon error, as I suspected the BSOD. I ran windows normally, and as I thought I got the BSOD, with the error...

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

This is also accompanied by a ticking sound coming from my hard drive (Which I know is not good)

The first thing I did was to try to run the computer in all versions of safe mode, and this does not work. I then tried to run the computer with the last known good configuration, and again this does not work.

I headed to Google, and read about using the "chkdsk /r" command in the command prompt having booted with a CD (This advice was for a Windows XP operating system). I don't have the original Vista discs, so I downloaded a recovery disk .ISO and burned it to a DVD. I managed to boot from this disc, and get to the recovery console.

My first problem was that the computer couldn't find my operating system, and prompted me to "Load Drivers". I ignored this, and then got onto the screen that shows the various recovery options, such as boot repair. I attempted boot repair, and this did nothing. I then used the "chkdsk /r c:" command. The process took a while, and it found some errors in the first stage. It identified some sections that "could not be read"

The chkdsk process continued, and got to the stage where it said it was "repairing" the errors, however, the process then ended, and I was again able to use the command lines in the box. The chkdsk never actually finished, just ended at this stage.

I'm assuming my HDD is completely dead, but is there any advice that ANYBODY can offer, to perhaps help?

Many regards,
    Zac.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

The hard drive manufacturer may have diagnostics that can better diagnose or fix the drive.

3. NozzaC

NozzaC

If the drive is making unusual noises and you want that data then stop messing around with chkdsk and try to clone the drive ASAP.

If you're not worried about the data use Seatools or other similar bootable manufacturer's test and see if the drive is shot. if it's not then I think it's reinstall OS time.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

You cannot run checkdisk from an XP boot cd in Vista because you are missing the sata drivers as you found out though you could use the Ultimate Boot cd to do so.
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/
    You could also attach an external hard drive or flash drive and copy any files missing using the UBCD and then simply replace the drive and reinstall Windows.

5. zac.b

zac.b Thread Starter

Sorry. my fault, it was a Vista boot CD I downloaded.

As for others, important files are already backed up. I just wondered what should be my next step.

Thanks,
    Zac.

6. NozzaC

NozzaC

Test the disk.

You can downlaod Ultimate Boot CD (not the Windows one). It has a load of disk testing apps on it including Seatools.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Agreed though I wouold run chkdsk /r first!!!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/928850