1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unmountable_boot_volume

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dencol, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dencol

dencol Thread Starter

I get this blue screen with the message Unmountable_boot_volume and the system used to restart until I changed the setting to "don't restart on system failure." I can't get into Windows and I have no idea even where to start fixing the problem.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. dencol

dencol Thread Starter

I did a chkdsk /r and after 45% completion I got the error message "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems." Then I did a FIXBOOT and it successfully wrote a new boot sector, However I was still not able to log into Windows and still get the same blue screen.

I also tried chkdsk /p and it completed 100% and said "CHKDSK found one or more errors in the volume. " Again I did a FIXBOOT which wrote a new boot sector but I still get the blue screen.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It sounds like the drive is kaput -- or at least the current installation.

Conceivably you could do a repair/reinstall and that might get you in > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You also might have some luck getting a diagnostic/repair utility from the drive vendor -- but usually these cannot restore a corrupted file system.

5. dencol

dencol Thread Starter

I tried to do a repair install and I get the following message:
    "The partition is either too full, damaged, not formatted or formatted with an incompatible file system. To continue setup installing Windows setup must format this partition. "

Is there any other option besides formatting and if I have to format is there any way to salvage some of the data that on the drive.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I doubt that there is any other way of "seeing" the drive if it cannot be "mounted".

While there are procedures I could suggest, such as slaving the drive to another computer, they would be very time consuming and probably not successful.

Another possiblity is BartPE with the "deep burner" plugin for burning data to a CD. You must download this plugin before creating the BART disk. See the plugin FAQ.

BART loads entirely in ram and outside of Windows. Whether you can "see" the drive once it is up given your current problem, I don't know.

But normally I can use it and burn data to a CD without actually loading the hard drive Windows installation.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice