1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unmountable_boot_volume...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nathan456, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nathan456

nathan456 Thread Starter

So I don't know much about computers :|

The other day the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME message showed up when I tried to start my laptop. I have googled on my mum's computer how to fix it, evidently it's a fairly common event. A few sites I came accross reccomended I boot from the OS CD that came with my laptop, then press R for repair, then a whole lot of other stuff. I managed to get to the bit where I press R, and now it's saying 'examining 152626 MB disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 in iastor' at the bottom of a blank blue screen. It's had the same screen for like, half an hour or longer, shouldn't it be doing something? might it be frozen? How long should it take?

I'm sure it's fine, it's just that, like I said, I am not familiar with this aspect of using computers so I am not confident that I am doing it 100% right.

Help very much appreciated :)

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Usually, but not always, a damaged file system on the hard drive that is preventing Windows from Mounting the hard drive to read from it and continue to load.

It can be caused by incorrect setings in the BIOS, but unless someone has been in the BIOS setup this is unlikely.

It can also be caused by a failed hard drive or a damaged connection to the drive.

The R you should have pressed when booting from the CD is the Repair using Recovery Console. See this NOT the enter to setup Windows and then R as that is a different repair.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/rconsole_3.htm
    See the image on page 3.

What is the make and model of the computer if branded. ie Dell etc.

3. nathan456

nathan456 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying

the screen I have when I pressed R looks the same as the one in the screen shot. Then it goes to the other screen I described and sits there for hours.

It is a Dell Vostro 1510, if that helps....

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

Time to test the hard drive. Get the manufacturers diagnostic utility boot floppy or CD and run all of the extended tests except any data destructive ones.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If you copy/paste that link in your address bar, it'll take you directly to where you need to be. If you just click on it, you'll probably have to scroll down the page and look on the left side for the link named "Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities" to get those utilities.

If it proves to be defective, check for warranty coverage.

There is a good video for HD replacement and other hardware on that model.
    Click Here To See It.

5. Macboatmaster

6. pipeman77

pipeman77

i can solve your problem,

7. Macboatmaster

Well post the solution then

8. pipeman77

pipeman77

when at recovery console select the windows istallation that you want to access
    2 if you asked for admin password type it ,
    if no password just hit enter,
    3at command prompt type chkdsk /r then press enter
    4when system goes through its motions at the command prompt press enter to restart your system,
    5,job done your system should run perfect now.

9. Macboatmaster

pipeman77
    From his opening post

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice