1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unmoveable boot volume-dropped lap top

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by EMozartKV313, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EMozartKV313

EMozartKV313 Thread Starter

Hi.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 and today my fabulous friend dropped the sob on the hardwood floor. Yeah...So now everytime I turn it on I get the FABULOUS blue death screen with this error message:

BIOS memory options to shadow and cache

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x873729E0, 0xc0000006, 0x000000, 0x000000)

I tried to boot from the CD rom with the Windows disk under F2, but it wouldn't. Instead it gave me the F8 options...booted me right out from safe mode and sent me back to the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

2. norton850

norton850

Dropping items always raises the possibility of mechanical damage (no big surprise:D ). So include in your troubleshooting taking out and putting the hard drive back in. What do you have as far as CDs from Dell? Recovery CD or full XP CD? Do you have a diagnostic CD? Do a Google search on the error message either Unmountable boot volume (not unmovable right?) or on STOP: 0x000000ED.

3. EMozartKV313

I don't have a recovery CD but I do have the windows XP cd...but the cd rom wouldn't even read the cd. Does it matter that the laptop OS is windows xp home and the cd is pro?

4. norton850

norton850

No it should still see it. When you boot up hit F2 to go into setup. Check for two things. Are your hard drive and CDROM recognized? Make your CD drive the first boot device.

5. EMozartKV313

I boot from the CD rom and it runs for about 10 seconds then the blue screen of death appears. I've taken the shell off of the lap top to see if anything broke on the inside, took the hard drive out and basically power cycled it, put in a NEW hard drive (I had previously bought a second one) and it still won't boot.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice