Unpartition Hard Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mrtubs

Hi
My Hard Drive is partitioned into two equal segments:

c: contains the operating system Windows 7 ultimate and my day to day files/applications
d: contains the operatiing system Windows XP and a backup of the files in c

As I now back up to an external drive, is it possible to delete drive d and rejoin the partitions so that I have one drive with twice the capacity?

Thanks

Ian

Yes as long as you have backed up eveything to the external.......does that mean you are getting rid of XP?

aka Brett

Banned
You may run into boot problems what did you use for a boot mgr..beings you installed xp after 7

mrtubs

I had xp first, I had a problem which resulted in me taking the pc to a repair shop. They had to format the hard drive (I had no backup) and so partitioned the drive in case the problem happened again. Later I installed 7 on the c drive. They are both pretty full now (c & d) which is why I want to have one big drive. Sorry don't know what a boot mgr is.

Ian

Windows 7 has its own tool...

Simply format the D: drive in windows 7 partition manager and then extend the volume.

Attachments

aka Brett

Banned
Hi
My Hard Drive is partitioned into two equal segments:

c: contains the operating system Windows 7 ultimate and my day to day files/applications
d: contains the operatiing system Windows XP and a backup of the files in c

As I now back up to an external drive, is it possible to delete drive d and rejoin the partitions so that I have one drive with twice the capacity?

Thanks

Ian

I had xp first, I had a problem which resulted in me taking the pc to a repair shop. They had to format the hard drive (I had no backup) and so partitioned the drive in case the problem happened again. Later I installed 7 on the c drive. They are both pretty full now (c & d) which is why I want to have one big drive. Sorry don't know what a boot mgr is.

Ian
You need to read the link below before starting...if you have access to only one PC you need to print the page or write down the details...although the article involves vista it is the same for 7

Do not give up on the start up repair method on the first try if it fails try it 4 or 5 if needed....if it takes along time to completes its actually a good sign as it is reading your entire drive..this will be the successful one...if still no luck then you will have to type in the commands

http://www.tomstricks.com/how-to-repair-and-restore-windows-vista-master-boot-record-mbr/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online