1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unplugging a running computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Photopilot, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Photopilot

Photopilot Thread Starter

I have had trouble shutting down a computer I am building. It goes through the motions then says its okay to turn off your computer now. All the fans are still running and I assume by the okay to turn off your computer now message which has a windows logo on it, the HD is still spinning. Hitting the power buttons just causes the computer to restart. There is no way to shut this computer down.

If I am unable to resolve this issue, how bad is it to turn off the computer by unplugging it? What I would really be doing is adding a power strip with an on/off button to shut the computer down.

Thanks

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

Have you checked in the BIOS to see if there is a function to suht down or in the settings of Windows under Power Options? This would be under the Control Panel then Power Options and then Advanced. Make sure that under Power Options that the Power Schemes is set to Home/Office Desk or Energy Star.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's all right to shut it down with the switch after the message appears on the screen. But it should shut down by itself. How old a machine is it? Does it have APM (Advanced Power Management)?

4. Photopilot

The machine is a Pentium 3 from the last century. The BIOS:AMIBIOS EASY SETUP Ver. 1.17 (C) 1998 American Megatrends. The on/off power button does not shut it down when I get to the okay to turn off screen. It goes from a mode where the lots of things on the computer are running fans etc, but the computer is not sending anything to the monitor, to the computer is running with monitor functions. That is why I am forced to unplug it to get it to shutdown.

I have already spent some time in the power setting in the control panel. It is set to home/office now. I will try energy star setting and see what that gets me.

Under the BIOS here are some observations and changes I am making to see what happens:
    POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP
    It does have APM which I have just disabled to see what that does.
    There is also a "FAN off at suspend" which I also enabled
    There is also a ACPI Aware O/S which I have left to "No"
    ADVANCED CHIPSET SETUP
    Power down SDRAM was set to disabled, I changed that to enabled

I will let you know how this goes.

5. Photopilot

So I tried all those changes and it is still not shutting down. When I press the Power button it restarts. During the restart the BIOS window is busy counting the RAM and giving me option to hit DEL to enter setup. Is the HD running at this time? Would this be a safe time to unplug the computer? I am concerned about crashing my HD from unplugging the computer when it is spinning.

6. bigbear

bigbear

Suspect PSU is dying, have seen this behaver before.

7. Photopilot

That could be as i have had it shut down by using the power button just once. So a dying PSU could be a reason.

One issue that make me suspect a hardware problem though is the stanby function. On my laptop I use standby, but had to go into power settings in the Control Panel to access it. In order to use it on my laptop I have to press the control button while in shutdown mode to get the standby button to turn into Hibernate. On this computer Hibernate was already chosen when installed. When I go in and de-select enable hibernate, the shutdown screen has a grayed out "Standby" button as well as a functioning Shutdown and Restart Buttons. So stanby is disabled on the computer, would a PS cause this?

PS: putting the computer into Hibernate causes the same issues, the computer does not fully shutdown. When restarting from hibernate the computer goes through the BIOS screen, then goes into the restoring from hibernation screen.

8. Photopilot

I need to correct this, I meant to say the Hibernate function. On my laptop standby is always accessible when shutting down. It is the hibernate that is not accessible unless i choose to make it so. When I disable hibernate then the standby function also becomes non use-able.

9. Nastrodamus

Nastrodamus

If you hold the power button for a few secs...what happens?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/600934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice