1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unplugging Cable Modem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by crawdad, Jun 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crawdad

crawdad Thread Starter

Is it a good idea to unplug my cable modem if Im going to be away on vacation? Is it good to unplug it period? Thanks

2. ignuitall

ignuitall

Sure you can unplug the modem.You will have no ill effects upon your return as i do it all the time.If you have an on/off ,or standby button,it is the same as pulling the plug.....off is off!:)

3. BillC

BillC

I too am going out of town tomorrow for several weeks and will unplug my modem and desk top. There is no harm in doing this and it will guard against lightning coming in on the power lines.

Lightning once fried a TV set in my house that was off, but not unpluged. As they say, better safe......

4. crawdad

crawdad Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Thats what I figured but figured Id ask.

5. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Unplug everything from the walls.

People unplug their computers from the wall to protect them against lightening strikes, but lightening can also travel through cable and phone lines just as easily.

6. debora1

debora1

anyone have any advise for a someone with a troubled computer? like a chanllenge? I have one, anyone got any help?

7. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello deborah and welcome to TSG!

To get the best help possible start your own thread and explain your trouble as best you can and describe your computer and give information about it, like what kind of computer and what kind of windows.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/143423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice