1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unpluging my pc

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by CHUNKYLAD, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CHUNKYLAD

CHUNKYLAD Thread Starter

just some advice
    is it safe to leave my pc on all the time i leave the hard-drive on and un plug everything else (mon,scan.print,etc)
    in the week i have it on all day(8amto 10pm)but at the weekend i download mp3,films and would like to leave it on all night dose anybody recommend this?
    thanx

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I'm not sure I understand why you are asking this question but will try to answer it.
    If you have a good firewall up it should be safe to leave on ...... ( thinking you have a cable connection)...but not understanding why you feel the need to cut everything else off.
    Hopefully your pc has a good cooling system & that you run virus protection thats been updated on a regular basis. You should also do the maintenace, clean up the cache & run scandisk & defrag...........then a shutdown for a rest......occasionally

If you're doing this ...all should be fine.

Savvy :)

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

CHUNKYLAD
    Some people leave there units on 24/7 and others allow the power management features to control the amount of resources
    left on. With my units I shut down and turn off all items after I am done using. I do this because as with any electronics item failures can occur and could cause damage or worse yet a fire. Another thought would be electrical storms or power losses. I do leave my computer on occasionally if I have maintenance that requires a long overnight run or have an extremely large download.
    Another reason some leave their units on is for scheduled maintenance runs through a task scheduler set to kick off late at night or after work hours.
    Just my two cents.
    Dave

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Good Morning Savvy did not realize you had posted.
    Dave

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Good morning Dave...... two heads are always better than one :)

Savvy :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice