1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unpredictable Packet Loss Spikes on Entire Home Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Zehnsik, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zehnsik

Zehnsik Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hello, I've been having an issue with my network recently ever since I moved into a new house. My configuration was the same, but after a few days my internet started getting wonky. I did a ping test through command prompt and would get "Request timed out" for the duration of about 3-5 seconds; this would happen at random times throughout the day. I later did ping tests on two Windows 10 computers at the same time and concluded that the spikes were happening at the same time on the entire network.

It is very odd, because it's not predictable at all. I could go hours or days before a spike happens, or it could happen frequently (It is rather random). Also, every once in a while, my internet will start cutting out with what seems like varying amounts of packet loss for a minute or more, but this has only happened a few times. Regardless, it is getting on my nerves because I do things that require a stable connection, like games, or hosting a server. I'm really hoping it is something I can fix myself (local) since I don't want the hassle of contacting Comcast, though it may likely come to that. (I came here on the chance that maybe I could sort out the possibility of a local issue first)

Please let me know what you think I can do to fix this once and for all. I'm open to any suggestions, and I'm hoping it doesn't involve calling Comcast... so if there are any easy fixes or suggestions, then those should come first. I'll be happy to provide any information that is needed, but I am only moderately tech savvy with minimal networking experience, so you might have to tell me how to do it (e.g. obtaining logs).

General Troubleshooting Info:
    - I have tried the following with no results:
    • Using a wired connection over wireless.
    • Rebooting the router and modem.
    • Changing my Arris SURFboard (Acting as the modem) to bridged mode.
    • Checking for new firmware on my router (There was none).

Network Info:
    Modem: Arris SURFboard, model SBG6580
    Router: Netgear Nighthawk X6, model R8000
    ISP: Comcast

System Info (My main PC):
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 32704 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (111 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (1283 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Acer, Predator G3-710
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Who are you pinging? I would do 2 pings : one to the router, and another to a site on the internet. That way, if the ping to the router drops traffic, then you can isolate the problem further.

Your ISP typically can only fix problems from their end to your modem. They might not fix problems internal to your network, or they may charge extra for it.

3. Zehnsik

Zehnsik Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    I have been using Google’s address (8.8.8.8) to do ping tests. And you’re right, I should ping my router, too. Next time I’m on my computer I’ll be sure to do that.

As far as I can tell it’s on Comcast’s end, but I needed an expert opinion and didn’t want to jump to conclusions. And yeah, I realize they probably wont fix a local issue, which is why I’m trying to narrow it down first.

I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for the reply. —Andrew

4. Zehnsik

Zehnsik Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    I haven't noticed any packet spikes for the past few days, and I've been doing ping tests on my router, as well as Google. It's a bit too early to say whether this issue has resolved itself or not, so I'll wait a week or so before making a decision. However, my intuition has led me to believe that there may have been some problems with a cable nearby and that Comcast may have fixed it.

Still too early to tell, but that's the update. —Andrew

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice