1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unreachable host

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Orianflyte, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Orianflyte

Orianflyte Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

For some reason, I cannot get my digital display sign to play well with my pc. I have had tech help, help from the installer, and trouble shooting myself, etc.

If the following makes any sense to anyone, feel free to share the knowledge. Thanks in advance!

Tracing route to 172.16.192.25 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms CISCOF1948 [192.168.1.1]

2 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms L201.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net [71.242.238.1]

3 L201.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net [71.242.238.1] reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

Pinging 172.16.192.25 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 172.16.192.20: Destination host unreachable.

Reply from 71.242.238.1: Destination net unreachable.

Ping statistics for 172.16.192.25:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Its greek to me!

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Your computer is apparently on a LAN with IP addresses 192.168.1.x and you are trying to access something on a different LAN. That's guaranteed to fail.

What are you trying to do? And why do you think this should work? (Remember, you've told us nothing about your network.)

And what is your "digital display sign" and what does it have to do with that IP address?

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Actually, the second line explains it all. You start from 192.168.x.x (a private non-publically routable IP address), then to 71.242.x.x (a public, routable address), then to 172.16.x.x (another non-publically routable IP address).

Set up properly, neither the router servicing 192.168.x.x, nor the router servicing 172.16.x.x should allow traffic from a private address on their WAN facing port. How specifically, do you have this network set up?

5. Orianflyte

Orianflyte Thread Starter

The network is in a small business. I have a galaxy sign by Daktronics that is hard wired to a hub in the backroom. From there, it is usually accessed from a back office computer. That pc has a designated ethernet line / IP address. I'm not sure what info to give you. If you can tell me what to look for, I'll do my best to provide the info. BTW, I don't want to sound like an idiot, I inherited this situation when I was asked to manage this store so I'm flying blind.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

That helped. :) It's some type of display sign, right? And you can use a computer to control the displayed message, right?

Hmmm. We depend on you to be our "eyes on the ground" so we have a bit of a problem here.

All we can tell from what you've shown is that you are dealing with two different LANs (Local Area Networks). They may both be in the same building, even the same room, but it is essentially the same as if you tried to access my computer (currently at LAN address 192.168.2.3). We can also surmise that the computer is connected to a router with LAN address 192.168.1.1 and has internet access through Verizon.

Does the sign/hub have a different internet access? Or is it somehow networked to the same router as your computer? If the latter, how? If you can't tell us what your network or networks look like (modem(s), router(s), switch(es), hub(s), etc.) I don't know what else we can do for you.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060866