1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unreadable Hard Disk!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pllobell, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pllobell

pllobell Thread Starter

Hello - here's what happened. I upgraded my server, basically all I kept was the two hard drives from the old machine. The one hard drive is for the system files (~13GB) and the other is for storage, user files, etc (~160GB). I figured that then I reinstalled Windows 2000 Server on the System disk, I would just have to assign the other disk a drive letter and be on my way.

Instead, in the disk management console, I get "Disk 1 [the 160GB) Dynamic Unreadable" I can revert to a basic disk, but it says I will lose all my information.

It is imperative that the data on this disk be recovered.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    PJ

2. grundelman

grundelman

Windows XP will not read drives over 130 gb unless you have SP1 installed.

3. pllobell

pllobell Thread Starter

It's running Windows 2000 Server, but your coment did give me an idea. I'll report back if it worked.

4. pllobell

pllobell Thread Starter

Ok, I got it to work, the registry needed to be edited to enable drives >130GB.

Thanks!

5. grundelman

grundelman

great!! I suppose SP4 or whatever sp version Windows 2000 Server is up to now a days makes this change for you.

Where in the reg did you make this change, just curious!!!

6. pllobell

pllobell Thread Starter

Actually, I used the MaxBlast! Program that came with my Maxtor hard drive. It makes the registry change automatically for you.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice