1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unreadable SD card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Bround, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bround

Bround Thread Starter

My compact digital camera went through the wash (don't ask!) and never worked since. I can live with losing the camera but I have 500 photos on the SD card which I urgently need to rescue. It's a Sandisk 1gb SD card and at the moment can't be detected on any card reader or camera. I don't want to re-format as this would delete the pics. Is there anything that can be done - professionally if necessary?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

When you add water to electrons, crazy things happen, and as there are no moving parts or corruptable software involved...besides making sure the contacts are clean, there isn't much to try or do.

I would try Pc Inspector (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartrecovery.html) if you haven't and using an inboard card reader, but if the card isn't ever detected it'll be pretty much impossible to do anything with the flash drive.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If the card cannot be recognised then no recovery software will be able to perform miracles either.

Re-wash the card in clen warm water and dry in a warm place for a few day, try again. If any moisture and soap film remain within (on the circuit board), the card may have been screwed permanently when you tried originally though.

4. Pookie

Pookie

let it dry out completely, I've washed my sd card several times now and as long as I let it dry out it always works just fine.

once it gets recognized then there are several programs to pull the images off of the card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!