1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unreal Tournament: GOTY Edition

Discussion in 'Games' started by andres_sz, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andres_sz

andres_sz Thread Starter

I have this game for some time now and it worked just fine until i got the Deathmatch and CTF trophies in Tournament mode and now when i try to play in Assault mode it says i have insufficient virtual memory or something like that:

"Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition you must free up more space on your primary hard disk." it says something else too with a lot of numbers and stuff, i can post it if you need it but i cant copy and paste it so it will be when i have more time. thanks

2. kloor

kloor

Did you find a solution andre?

same version and same error message (always the same even the numbers)
    Code:
    [B]Critical Error[/B] 
    Ran out oF virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must Free up more space on your primary hard disk. 
    History: FMallocWindows: :MaIIoc <- FMallocWindows: :Realloc <- 035AC270 -1860025196 FArray <- FArray: :Realloc <- 1217471050*2 
    <- FString« <- FNameEntry« <- LoadNames <- ULinkerLoad: :ULinkrLoad <- Uobject: :GetPackageLinker <- VerifyPackages 
    <- UGameEngine: :LoadMap <- AttemptLoadPending <- TickPending <- UGameEngine: :Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop 
    But i get this error when i try to play with a specific server.
    tried patching to 451: no change
    tried many vmemory settings, changing sizes, positions and partitions, etc.: no change.
    tried changing Direct 3D support (using NVIDIA GEFORCE FX 5200) to software rendering: no change

it's very frustrating! :mad: especially because i dont think it's a vmemory related problem
    Any ideas other than the ultimate uninstall+reinstall?

3. iwassnow

iwassnow

First thing you want to do is check how much free space is on your primary Hard Disk Drive. If it's at least 5 or more GB, then you may need to increase your page file allotment. First check that you have enough HD space. If so then let me know and I'll walk you through increasing your page file. When I got my computer one of the first things I did was up my page file to 2GB because I run alot of programs simultaneously.

BTW, a page file is space on your hard disk that your computer uses as if it were RAM.

And post your simple system specs in your next post too. :)

4. kloor

kloor

Hi and thanks for your quick reply!! :)

i run winxp sp2 on a pentium III, 512Mb RAM, primary HD (tot 20Gb, free 9Mb)
    when i play ut i always close inetrnet apps (p2p) to free ram and (hopefully :rolleyes:) get better performance.
    Before reading your reply the virtual memory (pagefile) was set to "let the OS choose". Now the pagefile is 2Mb (both max and min). no change...

sorry for bad english.

5. iwassnow

iwassnow

Ok, I see your problem already. 9MB of free memory is by far not enough to run a good page file. It's best to have at least 500MBor more. The first thing you're going to need to do is make some space on your computer. If you have old games that you don't play, uninstall them. Backup pics and movies to cds/dvds to save space. A 20 Gb Hard disk is NOT alot of space at all, but it's recommended to keep some of it empty for the page file. Letting the OS choose your page file size isn't bad, but only if you have space for it.

I do suggest you get a new hard disk though. It wil solve that problem easily. :cool:

6. kloor

kloor

sorry... ;) i wrote Mb but (apart the ram) i meant Gb.
    So as i have 9Gb free and the pfile is 2Gb. HD space is not a problem as far as i now. that's why i didn't write bout the secondary ide HD 80Gb... :p

7. iwassnow

iwassnow

You may have to try to uninstall and reinstall. :(
    As far as I know, unless you just didn't have enough memory, the only thing that would cause that error is an infinite loop error which ussually results from a corrupt file or something like that.
    You should also run a virus and spyware scan to make sure nothing is eating up your memory, but if your computer in general isn't showing performance degredation, then this probably isn't the cause.
    Also, are your mainboard drivers up to date? If not then try updating those.

The problem with stuff like this it can be trial and error sometimes. =/

8. kloor

kloor

Great! :D
    Uninstalled, cleaned up unreal dirs, reinstalled...
    No more errors!! :cool:

9. iwassnow

iwassnow

Glad to hear it, if it was your thread, I'd say change it to solved, but we'll see. :cool:

10. andres_sz

andres_sz Thread Starter

hahah, glad to see that someone got it right. I have an Intel Pentium D 3.00 Ghz (i think its dual core), 2 gb ram, 160 Gb total HDD and 25 free. i only have problems when i try to play assualt mode :/. thnx

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice