1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unrecognized external hard drive causes system hang

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trekkin, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trekkin

Trekkin Thread Starter

Every time I plug in my NTFS-formatted Toshiba 1 TB external via USB to the below system, Windows refuses to recognize it until I unplug it, at which point it informs me that I must format the drive for it to be usable. The drive works on two other computers flawlessly, but it never shows up in the drive list on this one while it's actually connected. Furthermore, when I attempt to verify the drive's recognition by opening virtual disk service via disk management, it hangs indefinitely.

This problem is several days old; prior to this, it would periodically fail to access files on the drive, with explorer hanging as the virtual disk service does.

The problem persists through a clean boot.

Is there any way to fix this?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3992 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1772 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 305244 MB, Free - 159999 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, 4061BD1
    Antivirus: Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010, Updated and Enabled

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What OS is running on the machines that can access it?

Under what OS was it partitioned and formatted? What was used to partition it?

How is it powered? Can you try external power? If not, can you try it with all your other USB devices unplugged?

3. Trekkin

Trekkin Thread Starter

Windows 7 Home Premium, and Windows XP

Partitioned and formatted by and on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.

It's powered through the USB cord. I've used it with all other devices unplugged, to no change.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It still could be a power problem. Some new machines don't seem to have as much power available for USB. I know that my newest machine will not power one of my WD externals without a power-assist cord. It just doesn't get enough power, though a couple of other drives work fine. Getting a USB cable to double the power is something handy to have around, anyway.

Do other drives work OK on that machine?

Be sure to check the file system on that drive, too. I have had systems hang with only minor errors. Some machines seem way more sensitive than they should be.

5. Trekkin

Trekkin Thread Starter

This is the only drive I have without a separate power cord. The other drives work well, though.

I ran chkdsk, and it hangs no matter what computer I run it on, so I'm trying to simply format it. That said, with a data transfer speed of 20 kb/s (which seems really low to me), formatting a 1 tb hard drive should take a while.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is this plugged into a front USB Port or a rear port?

7. Trekkin

Trekkin Thread Starter

Front. The machine only has three USB ports in total; it's a lenovo W500.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice