Unrecognized secondary HD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fredman

Ok, this may be long and drawn out, so grab a cup of coffee, sit back, relax, and read:

I yanked the HD out of my system, put in another of the same size (30 gig), and also upgraded the processor from a 600 mhz to a 1.0 ghz, and I reloaded the HD with W2K Pro. The prior HD was W2K Pro also, and both are NTFS.
(I know what you are thinking, and I don't need a lot of processor speed).

I figured I would just put the old HD in as a secondary drive on the primary channel (with the appropriate jumpers), that didn't work, and I also tried it as the secondary on the secondary channel, and also as the primary on the secondary channel, neither worked.
What's happening is that it is either not recognizing the C drive at all on this HD, or it sees it as an unformatted drive and asks me if I want to format it (no). What is strange is that the old HD was partitioned into a C and E drive (CD-Rom is the D), and I got it to read the E drive, but not the C.

I was thinking about just putting the old drive back in, and trying to reload just Windows (in 'repair' mode), but I just don't want to lose some of the stuff I have on the C. Losing it won't kill me, I backed up my 'important' stuff, but I have a few other things I'd like to recover, and this should not be this hard. I DID try just hooking up the old drive on the primary by itself, and Windows must not like the new CPU, I get a 'reload NTOSKRNL' message. And yes, I have several ERD disks and other disks I have made to try and boot from, no luck.

Anyone have any ideas on what to try next ?

o how i should have read ur post better, u get the NTORSK or whatever it is use a 98 bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com and type fdisk /fixmbr which means it will fix the Master boot record and it should solve that problem.

fredman

Nemisis, because I wanted to clean up a lot of the junk that was on it/in the registry, start from scratch, really, I have added so many things such as CODECS and JAVA fixes that I have done more harm than good, and because I had another HD of the same size sitting here collecting dust.

I have not tried a different cable perse', but I have tried it on other machines, and on the secondary cable in this machine, same thing every time.

I MIGHT just hook the drive back up and try to boot from the Windows CD and see if I can run a windows repair...........

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online