1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unrecognized Slave Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JesuSlaveX, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JesuSlaveX

JesuSlaveX Thread Starter

ok, finally got past the agp440.sys crash reinstalled windows. Every once in a while I still get a sytem halt on boot, but at least she's usable. I attempted to put in a slave drive, I have it hooke up in the same line as my CD rom (my primary is on a different line) and BIOS wont recognize it. could this be a jumper thing? I've taken out and put back in this drive all day on my previous Pc with no issues. Does my BIOS in this new mobo play a roll with jumper settings?

2. Nvisible

Nvisible

Depends on what Bios you are running some Bios systems want to do a cable select before actually trying to read jumper settings if this is the case you might want to try to put the HDD on the same line as the primary. If it is a new set of Bios you should not have any issues unless your Jumpers are incorrect. If both the CD Rom and the HDD are set to master. The Bios will only take one device and that would be the device that is set on the cable as master. With every IDE cable the first slot. ( or the one in the middle) is the secondary and the Second ( the One at the End) is the Primary (or Master) this is Cable what is ment by cable select. Ok so if your CD Rom's jumpers are set to Master and in the Primary spot on the cable and your HDD is set to Master and in the Secondary spot on the cable the only thing that will work is the CD Rom. I hope that makes sence and gives you some direction.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice