1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unrecoverable errors and NTLDR Missing !!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ej, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ej

ej Thread Starter

AGH, I think I may have serious juju here. My HP pavilion with XPsp2 crashed, I ran chkdsk /p and it said there were unrecoverable errors, so I ran chkdsk /r from the cd repair utilities and it stopped, tried fixboot, can't access safe mode either, tried fixmbr now it boots up and says "NTLDR Missing hit any key to restart". So now I'm stuck, I can only access the bios and the cd rom drive with the xp cd. I read something about creating a xp boot cd and using a prgm called Bcupdate2.exe, but I have a feeling I need to fix the disk somehow??? and ideas??:confused:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all pull the hd and connect it to the system you are using now. Attempt to save any important data. Once you have done that, reinstall the disk. Now download and run the hd maker's utility for checking the drive. Note you download this from whoever made the disk ie maxtor, WD, seagate, etc.

If the drive passes ALL tests, you can then attempt to reinstall the os, apps, copy data over, etc.

If the disk has problems, you are wasting your time trying to "repair" the drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice