1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unreliable Wireless Connection on 802.11g

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stevelw, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stevelw

stevelw Thread Starter

I currently have an 8MB broadband connection provided down my BT line by F2S.COM. I use a Belkin ADSL Modem with a built-in 4 port wireless router to generate a private wireless network using 802.11G protocol giving me an effective network speed of 54MBps. This network is accessed by my primary machine - a laptop with an internal Intel Pro Wireless 200BG card which runs 802.11g - and three other machines (2 laptops and a desktop) - all fitted with Belkin wireless cards running 820.11b giving them a reduced speed of 11MBps.

The secondary machines all connect to the network on bootup and wotk without problems. My primary machine, however, whilst originally working fine, has now developed an annoying habit. When it is booted, the network card with either fail to find the local network at all, or will claim to be connected but will be unalbe to retrieve mail or connect to web pages - I suspect because a proper connection has not been established with my ISPs DNS servers, the location for which is stored in the router configuration.

In order to connect this machine to the Internet I must either:

a. Reboot the router or
    b. Disable the internal network card, insert a card running 802.11b (ie a slower card) which immediately finds and connects to the network, remove that card and re-enable the internal 802.11G which then works fine after redetecting the network.

Generally speaking if I then power off the machine and restart it several hours later it will work without any problems but will fail again the next day on startup. I removed and re-installed the drivers for the internal card a couple of times, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what might be happening here? Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do the other three machines work OK - if so then its nothing/unlikely to do with the router - if not then it is the router/modem/connection

can you post an ipconfig /all when its working and when it is not working

TWO Methods to do that - some people have problems with ONE----

ONE ---------------------------------
    start
    run
    cmd
    ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

If the other machines are working then

NEXT lets see if you can get out onto the internet with both names and IP's - its possible the IP number you get back on the first test is different to the one I post {I'm in UK} so use the number you get instead of mine

------------------------------------------------
    try ping the name and then the IP see below

start
    run
    cmd

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping google.com
    C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping 64.233.187.99

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver and utility for the Intel adapter from your laptop's manufacturer. Are you using the Intel utility or Windows' WZC? I recommend the former.

4. stevelw

stevelw Thread Starter

TYpically, the network card reponded perfectly this morning - for the first time in weeks. I'm waiting for a failure so I can publish the results of ipconfig. As the failures only seem to happen on the first boot of the day, It's now going to be at least tomorrow before it happens again.

I'll publish ASAP, meanwhile thanks for the suggestions so far and for your patience.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    ETAF asked for ipconfig /all both when working and when not working--you could post the working one now.

6. stevelw

stevelw Thread Starter

Okay. Normal failure resumed this morning, so here are the results of the various tests ...

Condition 1 - No Network Connection
    a. IPCONFIG Result
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : prometheus
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-35-2A-00-F0

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-F5-37-85-BB
    b. Ping UNC - FAILED
    c. Ping IP - FAILED

Condition 2 - Network Reported - No EMail or Browsing
    a. IPCONFIG Result
    Windows IP Configuration

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lee-woolf.com

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.25
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.106.56.6

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC
    b. Ping UNC - FAILED Could not find Host
    c. Ping IP - SUCCEEDED.

Condition 3 - Network Available
    a. IPCONFIG Result
    Windows IP Configuration

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lee-woolf.com

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.25
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.106.56.6
    b. Ping UNC - SUCCEEDED
    c. Ping IP - SUCCEEDED

Further Comments/Observations.
    1. In answer to an earlier question, Yes, all other machines on the Network work fine and do not experience this problem. Because of this I do not think it likely that the fault lies with either the router or the router configuration.
    2. The problem only appears at first startup of the day and the network behaves perfectly after connection has been manually established.
    3. I have experimented with both the Intel utility and Windows WZC and can see no difference in behaviour between the two.

Any ideas on what is happening will be gratefully received.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    a few things then
    1) can you post an IPCONFIG /ALL for th eother working PC's

condition 1) when you have no network connection - you do not have an IP address so thats strange as you seem to have manually entered the IP and DNS - or is this something you do after and not saving ???
    maybe i'm missing somehting here - sorry

condition 2) you can ping an IP address/but not a name - but cannot get email or webbrowsing - can you try putting the IP address of google into a web browser and see if you can get online with and IP address only.

the DNS addresses are for pipex i think
    why did you get those from - your ISP ??

you are not using DHCP is this case through out your network?

8. stevelw

stevelw Thread Starter

I will collate and post the results of an IPCONFIG for the other three machines later today.

I will try to connect to a web site via IP address next time the system fails (likely to be tomorrow as it's working now!).

The DNS addresses were provided by my ISP along with a static IP address and all the other settings. I do not use DHCP - the ip addresses of all the machines on the network are manually allocated and were entered, in each case, when setting up the machines. The PCs must have the data saved somewhere, because they are not entered each time. They appear, correctly, when the network is active. I'm not explaining this very well ... my primary machine has an internal Intel card (802.11g) and also uses an external PCMCIA 801.11b. Each card has a different IP address within my private network range. The ip that is active seems to be the one appropriate for the active card as it appears correctly depending on which card is active. Let me re-iterate that I have not entered and addresses manually other than when initially configuring the machines to work on the network.

I don't know why no IP address appears under Condition 1. The IPCONFIG report suggests that the media is inactive (even though Windows reports that it is active). Could the configuration, perhaps, be stored on flash memory on the card itself? The addresses appear as normal on the IP Properties display of Windows under Condition 1.

Not using DHCP is part of my network security protocol. Other safety steps taken are:

1. SSID not broadcast
    2. 128-bit AES encryption enabled, with passkeys stored on each machine.
    3. Access restricted to machines whose NIC addresses appear on the routers ACL

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I wonder if its a hardware problem from cold TerryNet may have some more ideas on this.

also I wonder if the secruity is having an effect on that one machine - it may be worth trying it without all the secruity one morning - see if it works.

or if interference from a cordless phone/other networks etc is causing problems - but i clutching at straws because my experiance has been cordless phones effect everything

also just possibly some virus/spyware on the machine.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From Condition 1:

"Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection"

I just ran a test--disabled my router's wireless signal and booted my laptop where it was receiving no wireless signal. Ipconfig showed the same as above, and the Intel utility (correctly) said that no wireless signals seen. Within 15 seconds of enabling my wireless signal the laptop connected to it.

Obviously you do have a wireless signal in range. I'm with etaf on "I wonder if its a hardware problem from cold." But have no suggestions or ideas other than my post #3.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "TerryNet - I was wondering was your test using DHCP - i was wondering what would happen if the IPs are set manually fixed as is the case here.."

I have a static IP set in Alternate Configuration, so if I connect to a wireless network w/o Dhcp, I will get an IP address. I'm sure that the "Media disconnected" means that there are no wireless networks in range. I don't get the media disconnected when there is a wireless signal, even if I'm not connected to anything.

I'll read that other thread.

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thanks on both counts

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/460173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice