1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unreliable wireless connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mcad8, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcad8

mcad8 Thread Starter

I've had this problem for awhile now and after trying my best at fixing it, I've given in and have decided to come to the experts!

I have Linksys WAG54G wireless modem router, which is connected by ethernet cable to a standard PC and an Xbox 360. My sister is normally always connected to the wireless network on her laptop. The problem is, both her laptop and my Xbox get disconnected from the network after about 20 minutes. Unfortunately I'm not sure if its due to the same problem, or a completely different problem for each, all I know is that the Linksys needs to be turned off and on so that the laptop/Xbox can re-establish a connection.

I've done all the obvious stuff, client lease time is set to the maximum allowed for the Linksys (10080 minutes). It still does it though. I also find that for the laptop, the connection is more reliable when the standard PC isnt turned on, could this have anything to do with it?

Any suggestions are appreciated, now matter how dumb they seem!

2. Curly

Curly

Make sure your WAG54G is running the latest firmware. Visit Linksys' website for it.

Next, make sure your wireless signal is strong. Passing through walls and floors will degrade the signal. A short line-of-sight is ideal.

Try changing the wireless channel. Competing wireless signals on the same or nearby channels can cause disconnections.

If you have other wireless electronics in the area (such as telephones or other access points), move them to a different area.

The DHCP lease time is not related to your issue. When a lease reaches half of its designated time, a new request will be made and granted, and your connection will remain. So it does not matter if you have it set for 10080 minutes or 1 minute. (Well, 1 minute is not recommened. But there is another reason for that that we will not get into here! :)) You will not be disconnected because of your lease time.

3. Jason08

Jason08

In the router, if it lists the wireless clients connected to the router, it should also list the mode (B, G, or N.) It may help to change in the wireless settings to that mode(s).

4. mcad8

mcad8 Thread Starter

Sorry for the late response, had a holiday to attend :p

Ok, firmware updated, but the problem still remains, also, the latest firmware for my WAG54G is from 2004.

We have an old hamstone house, so the wireless signal isnt the strongest possible, but even so it will drop out when it shouldnt, and the Xbox is wired and that still manages to lose connection after only about 10 minutes of being connected, yet i can immediatly reconnect.

Changed it to channel 5, is that a good one?

There is a wireless telephone, but its a good 3m away from the Linksys.

As for the wireless clients, the pop up window detailing this only has categories for 'Computer name' 'IP address' and 'MAC address'. No space for wireless mode.

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

5. Jason08

Jason08

Reset the router to factory default settings.
    Note: This will reset everythingyou have set in the router, including network keys (WEP, WPA etc.), time, filters etc, and restore the router completely to default settings. Take a paper clip, and push it in the reset button for 10-15 seconds.

6. mcad8

mcad8 Thread Starter

These are all good suggestions, but nothing i havent tried before :( Would it be useful if I posted all the details and settings from our router 'homepage'?

7. Jason08

Jason08

That may help.:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/846243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice