1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unscheduled Downtime 3 Feb 2005

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by TechGuy, Feb 3, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Yes, yes... all TSG servers were completely unreachable between 21:30-22:00 Eastern tonight. We had a couple of T1s die on us, but we're up and running again now! :)

2. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

And here I thought it was a problem at my end!

TSG has had it's share of bad luck these last few months between Server1 going down and now this T1 failure.

3. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    Luckily Server1 only slowed us down, didn't take the site offline... and this hickup only laster for half an hour. I should probably be glad that's the only trouble we've had considering the budget the servers are run on. ;)

4. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

Sorry about the PM earlier. The moment I sent it I thought of looking in here.

If you need some more cashflow for the servers you could try a pledge drive for about a week. I know a website that has had pledge drive going forever. They pay for all their overhead without selling ad spots.

5. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    No problem on the PM -- I got dozens of emails. ;)

I don't like having pledges all the time -- I'm no good at begging for money unless it's critical, and despite all of the relatively serious issues recently, I don't think it is yet.

6. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

I agree with you there. However it might be good to nip it in the bud before it becomes critical. That could save TSG from some more unexpected downtime and save you some headaches. Of course it could also give you headaches trying to upgrade all that hardware :p :D

7. hewee

hewee

Wonder if I was here because I was having so real slow page loads where it was as if the site was dead and then the page would load. Plus I was here on server 2 and then I looked and was on server 1.

8. haplo210

haplo210

mike how much could we all donate to make a difference? i hat seeing the site gettign hit wit tech troubles of it own, you knwo what your doiugn, but cant afford to do it yourself. Im sure the majority of users willbe willing to contribute something to the site mike? how do you take payment> what cards etc do you accpet?

9. haplo210

haplo210

jsut looked at donating, any way us unfortunate brits can use switch to donate> if onot the nwhat do you recomend? i dont have a visa card any more...sorry mike. I wanna hekp you out for all the ahrd work your doing though.,

10. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    You can use PayPal, credit cards, money orders, or just about anything else to donate. Have a look at http://www.techguy.org/donate.html for more information. Thanks for your support!

11. haplo210

haplo210

money orders m,ay have to be the way to go. Dont have a credit acrd any more, only debit, even thats bad enough for me.

Never used paypal either.

Thanks tho. Ill look into it later on today hopefully.

12. hewee

hewee

I just mail in a check to TSG to get the ads turned off but a money order would do the same thing but cost you more if you have to buy the money order.

13. angel

angel

You guys just reminded me that I haven't donated in almost a year. I try to whenever I can spare the money. Gotta try to keep Mike happy!!! I'm off to donate!

14. haplo210

haplo210

Right going to write a cheque, dont know what i can spare, r how to convert it to $, but im sure the bank can deal with those details.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice