Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsecured wireless network... but it should be secured!

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
I'm having wireless internet problems and it just doesn't work. Right now, the only reason why my computer is connected to the internet is because there's a wire going from my computer to the linksys router.

Anyway, whenever I click on the little computer icon on my taskbar, my internet shows up but underneath it says that it's unsecured when it should be secured because we have a WEP key. When I click connect, it doesn't ask for the WEP key anymore and it also just doesn't connect.

How do I get it to work wireless again? And how do I get it back to be secured?

#2 ·
Hi:A number of things the techs here will need to know to assist you.
Operating system and level(sp1/2?)
Make and model of router
Cable or DSL
Make and model of modem
Please describe your connection IE ,modem to router to pc etc.
or ???
And if this worked once,did you make any changes to the environment(new software/hardware etc)

#3 ·
Both computers are Windows XP and have SP2. We also have DSL.
Router: Linksys, model: BEFW11S4
Modem: Speedstream 5100

On the host computer, the internet works with only the modem, but for my computer to work, you need the router.

Wireless internet isn't working for some reason, so right now I have my computer connected to the linksys router using a wire.

#4 ·
Have you logged into the router and allowed the wireless device access to the internet? Generally you use the WEP key to authenticate to the wireless AP. To access the internet, you then need to allow it via the GUI (and remember to apply the settings after). If you still do not get on, try the WEP key in plaintext and HEX. You may be able to choose whether to create the key from the plaintext passphrase or manually enter the HEX key.

If all else fails try checking whether the windows firewall is protecting the WLAN network connection. Even if you turn it off WLAN is protected as an exception.

#5 ·
Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If/when successful re-enable encryption.

If possible use WPA-PSK. If you must use WEP be sure to use a Hex key, as ascii passcodes sometimes get translated differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.