1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unsigned drivers for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ArtVandalay, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtVandalay

ArtVandalay Thread Starter

I have a 2-year old Compaq Presario FX700 monitor connected to a new system with WinXP Pro/nVidia GeForce FX5200. The current screen resolution is 1024 x 768, with 32-bit color & a 75hz refresh rate. The overall display and sharpness if fine. The only problem is the slightly annoying way the on-screen display does not "fit" precisely into the display area for the monitor. The left border of any window is slightly angled to the right, yielding a black margin from the top to mid-screen. The right border parallels the left.

The current drivers for the monitor are the generic ones that reside in the Windows System Folder (in the device manager, the monitor is simply identified as a Plug and Play monitor).

In hopes of correcting the problem, I downloaded the XP drivers for this model directly from the Compaq web site, but when I attempted to update the drivers, I was greeted with a message stating that the drivers I was about to install were not digitally signed, and that I risked system stability if I were to continue.

Suggestions, anyone??

2. McTimson

McTimson

Just go ahead with the installation...that basically means that MS hasn't gotten around to testing the drivers on every single system configuration available, but I haven' heard of anyone having any troubles with those drivers yet.

But the problem you're having seems to be in the monitor itself...are there any buttons on the monitor? Usually you can change the height and width of the screen directly through the monitor to fine-tune it, as well as some other options.

3. PCMan78

PCMan78

Don't worry about DS. I know that Compaq monitors do have their own software for their monitors, so try that. It may have some features within it that will allow you to change your screen the way you like it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice