1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unsolvable Problem (involving missing xml subfile)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by NIsaksson, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NIsaksson

NIsaksson Thread Starter

Hi everyone!

I'm fairly certain I'm s.o.l. on this one, but I'm desperate so I continue to try. Here goes: a very important, irreplaceable .docx file was randomly missing from my computer inexplicably. I downloaded a program called Recuva used for recovering deleted files that may still be on the hard drive somewhere. I found my file (as well as various autosaves of it [asd files]), but it would not open for it was corrupted. After trying many methods to repair the file, I turned to third-party programs for repairing corrupted documents. One of the programs, called Savvy DOCX Recovery, attempted to recover the file, but it couldn't because "the docx file does not contain the word/document.xml sub-file in which the text is stored". It further claimed it was impossible to recover the data. Is this true? I would not ask if the text in the document were not extremely important.

Thanks a lot!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you checked to see if you have Previous Versions enabled? Right click on the folder that the file was in and see if you have a "Restore Previous Versions" option. I assume you didn't make a backup of this important and irreplaceable file?

You can try extracting the recovered file using this method and see if you can get readable text: http://www.howtogeek.com/50628/easi...-embedded-files-from-an-office-2007-document/
    If that document.xml file is heavily damaged o missing then yup, you are out of luck unless you can find another copy of the file.

Have you searched your computer for the name of he file? Maybe it just got moved?

NIsaksson likes this.
  3. NIsaksson

NIsaksson Thread Starter

Yes, I tried to look for previous versions and have scoured my computer, and yes, I failed make a copy, stupidly. I had only created it a week before, hadn't gotten around to it. Shows me not to procrastinate!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice