"unspecified error"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fuzexi

Hi,

Bought an Acer Aspire a few weeks ago, haven't used it much.
I installed the operating system that was supplied with the notepad (XP home edition) which I think was really more of a recovery disc than a XP disc.
I installed a few programmes like Office, MusicMatch, and a few other well-known ones. Nothing dodgy!

But now when I leave it for a few minutes, multiple windows start popping up with "unspecifed error" (and that's about all it says) and you can only get rid of it by pressing ok until all the "ok" buttons in all the windows have been pressed. (You have to be pretty quick too!)

I saw another post (unanswered) in another forum, where the guy had the same problem, and had an Acer Travelmate. Is it an Acer thing?

Any ideas?

Peter

Try booting into Safe Mode and see if the problem occurs. To access it power on the PC or reboot and depress F8 after the hardware is listed.

If the problem does not occur within Safe Mode a Startup application or service may be causing the problem. You can disable them by running MSCONFIG and selecting the Startup tab.

Dan O said:
Try booting into Safe Mode and see if the problem occurs. To access it power on the PC or reboot and depress F8 after the hardware is listed.

If the problem does not occur within Safe Mode a Startup application or service may be causing the problem. You can disable them by running MSCONFIG and selecting the Startup tab.
Excellent answer... out of the box! i like it! (Don't ask... lil crazy today)

Anyhow, hit control + alt + del and see if you can find a process that is not reconized. However, do not end the tasks unless you're sure what they do.
-blitze

fuzexi

Ok, I'll give it a go. I have already been into MSConfig, to disable the annoying MSN messenger and MS Sidewinder (Joystick) startup. As it is a new computer, there are lots of (I assume) Acer-related processes that I don't recognise. I suppose I will have to go to that website which lists all the processes and says what they are... anyone know what it's called again - I've forgotten!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts